facebook

Component Updates

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

donpark

REQUEST: This is a request to have updates to key components released separately. Components like servlet container support plugins should be released when it becomes available instead of being tied to IDE updates. For example, I need Jetty 6 support which is not in 5.5 M1 but will be in 5.5 M2. If released separately, I would be able to use it now instead of waiting until 5.5 M2. It also bothers me that I have to upgrade IDE to a milestone version of IDE in order to get Jetty 6 support.

RECOMMENDATION: Release key components and extensions separately and allow third-party to contribute components as well through a new component/extension listing forum. SPI points will have to be stabilized more so that components can work across versions most of the time. This will enable small developers to get their products supported by MyEclipse.

#267699 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Don,
    I know it can be frustrating to wait for a feature but I want to point out (incase this helps) that when you use an exploded custom-location deployment and remote debugging, you shouldn’t need to be starting/stopping Jetty 6 very much, and even if you have to, it’s just firing it up from the command line and MyEclipse will still work fine deploying to it and so on.

#267703 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Don,

Are you reading our product plans? 😉

On the request, we’re actively working on allowing portions of the IDE to be installed in more flexible ways. The application server connectors are a great example, since no one needs all of them installed all the time. Changing the delivery timelines on individual components is a bit tougher since they need to go through QA to ensure compatibility across the stack. And, since we typically ship a release, at some level, every 6 to 8 weeks I’m not sure how much we can accelerate that QA / ship process further, but we’re going to try to decouple that as well after we get the piecewise install part worked out. I know it’s tough to wait for a connector that we’ve already got in QA, but we really do want it to work for you when we deliver it. 🙂

On the recommendation, we’ve created a partner network that we’ll be launching as part of the 5.5 GA release that will do exactly as you’ve recommended with both popular OSS and commercial offerings. All tested, integrated, and available from one location with consolidated support.

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide us the feedback. From it, I know we’re on the right track. 🙂

#267883 Reply

donpark

LOL. No, Scott. It was just a no-brainer enhancement that will make many customers happy and make it easier for third-parties to integrate with MyEclipse. Although it’s already on the product plan, I’ll just take credit for the idea. ;-p

Re increased QA load, I think you’ll find that developer participation during testing cycle will be much higher than with full IDE since the need is there and change is limited. Overall, a good thing.

#267898 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Don,

OK, the credit for the idea is yours! 😉

Seriously though, thanks for the input and please know we’ll be doing our best to implement all your ideas as soon as possible.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Component Updates

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in