facebook

Configure Multiple Tomcat 5 instances

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Obviously MyEclipse has a way to deal with multiple servers (Tomcat 4, Tomcat 5, Tomcat 6). How difficult can it be to make the number of servers variable for each version: Tomcat 5 instance 1, Tomcat 5 instance 2? I am not even asking to have multiple instances (different catalina.base) on one version, I only need to have multiple servers each installed in its own catalina.home. How much more difficult can that be as compared to having Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5 in parallel?

#307824 Reply

Obviously MyEclipse has a way to deal with multiple servers (Tomcat 4, Tomcat 5, Tomcat 6). How difficult can it be to make the number of servers variable for each version: Tomcat 5 instance 1, Tomcat 5 instance 2? I am not even asking to have multiple instances (different catalina.base) on one version, I only need to have multiple servers each installed in its own catalina.home. How much more difficult can that be as compared to having Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5 in parallel?

#307825 Reply

Isn’t there a configuration file that describes the available servers and that could be edited to add multiple installations of the same version of tomcat?

#307826 Reply

Obviously MyEclipse has a way to deal with multiple servers (Tomcat 4, Tomcat 5, Tomcat 6). How difficult can it be to make the number of servers variable for each version: Tomcat 5 instance 1, Tomcat 5 instance 2? I am not even asking to have multiple instances (different catalina.base) on one version, I only for multiple servers each installed in its own folder. How much more difficult can that be as compared to having Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5 in parallel?

Isn’t there a configuration file that describes the available servers and that could be edited to add multiple installations of the same version of tomcat?

#317223 Reply

gcstang

Any update to this one? I would love to see this work via MyEclipse.

@ernestz wrote:

Any follow up on this?

I have been using ‘regular’ Eclipse where you can have multiple server instances (basically one Tomcat installation, with mutiple “catalina.base” instances for different projects and I’d like to duplicate this behavior with MyEclipse 6.6.

I followed the instructions to create the Custom Configuration and set the different startup properties and paths. This configuration was saved under a different name “Tomcat 5.5 (Flex)”. In the MyEclipse Server view, my Tomcat instance changes from “Tomcat 5.x” to “Tomcat 5.x [Tomcat 5.x (Flex)].

The problems I see are:

1. In this custom configuration, I configured “catalina.base” to a different directory containing only the directories for ./conf, ./webapps, ./logs, ./temp, ./work. “catalina.home” is still pointing at the original tomcat installation directory containing all of the binaries. But, after you start this new launch configuration (displaying the alternate name), the Server view shows the “Location” as the original Tomcat webapps directory and applications deployed in that directory, not an empty webapps directory for the new “catalina.base”.

2.You can start this instance for Run or Debug mode, but you cannot stop the instance. The stop toolbar button and the Stop popup menu option are disabled.

3. If I go back to the Run or Debug launches, there is no instance of the new launch configuration. Using menu items for Run -> Open Run Dialog, I scroll down to the MyEclipse Server and see only the original “Tomcat 5.x” configuration. No trace of my new custom launch configuration. Also, there is no .launch configuration for this setup in the workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.debug.core\.launches directory.

4. It appears that the only thing a “custom configuration” does is temporarily rename the Server in the view. When you restart MyEclipse, the server view displays the original “Tomcat 5.x” server name.

Did I just miss something regarding setting up multiple Tomcat server instances, basically, one catalina.home (with binaries) and multiple catalina.base to contain different server configuration files and different web applications?

#317278 Reply

support-swapna

ernestz,

I could not replicate the problems reported when configuring multiple instances of tomcat in MyEclipse 9.0.

Which version of MyEclipse are you working with ? Can you update to the latest release and check if you see any issues ?

Here is how you can install ME 9.0 :

1) Download it from this link :
    http://myeclipseide.com/index.php?name=Recommend_Us&req=Download&version=ME

2) Alternatively you can use Pulse to install MyEclipse 9. Here is an FAQ on how to install using Pulse :
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/installation-how-to-install-myeclipse-from-pulse/

Let me know how it works for you.

#317280 Reply

ernestz

I originally joined this thread back in January 2009 and reported the problem description while using ME 6.6. I eventually went back to just regular Eclipse for this particular development effort/project and have not tried to set this up in MyEclipse.

But, I do have ME 9 and was able to setup multiple instances of Tomcat as I originally wanted, so yes, this now works

#317335 Reply

support-swapna

ernestz,

Glad that you could get it working.
    Do let us know if you have any other issues.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Configure Multiple Tomcat 5 instances

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in