facebook

core upgrade

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Comments
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

xeperno

We also made a commitment to upgrade all Core users to the Professional level for the remainder of their subscription period

how do we get that. reading the news I got the impression that Pro would start til V4

but today I noticed alot “add XXX capabilites menu” items in myeclipse menu, all faded out so I guessing pro has begun.

#233837 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

but today I noticed alot “add XXX capabilites menu” items in myeclipse menu,

This has nothing to do with the release of the pro version. The items are simply greyed out because they’re not appropriate for your current selection. For example, “Add Struts Capabilities…” will only be available for a MyEclipse Web project selection that doesn’t already have Struts capabilities. If you have specific usage questions, please post them to the technical forums for the product.

how do we get that.

You’ll get that automatically, without doing anything. The software will simply be configured to honor all keys issued before it’s final release date as PRO keys. Additionally, we’re going to give all users the opportunity to renew any subscriptions early and receive a pro key at the regular price. So, for example, if you have three months left to go on your subscription, you’ll be able to extend it for another year at the base price and get the pro features.

#233895 Reply

Wayne Kidd

I have never heard of PRO. What are these people talking about?

Is there some announcement I missed.

Wayne

#233897 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Wayne,

We announced it in the last two newsletters we emailed out. I’ll see if I can dig up a web reference for them and post them as a followup. For the future, you can subscribe to the newsletter in the Member Services section, if you’re interested. The Pro version will be an augmented version of 4.0 that contains basically two additional features that were requested by some of our enterprise clients: UML and Oracle-specific trigger/procedure editing and will be available for $49.95. Everything else (WYSIWYG JSP/Struts/JSF editor, hibernate 3, tapestry, spring, etc) will be added to the core product.

If you’re curious as to why we’re coming out with this additional option and why the price is different, there’s a good discussion on it that gives all the history and details here: http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-8032.html

#233922 Reply

Wayne Kidd

I don’t always read my newsletters. I come to the forums religiously. I wish I had seen it in My Eclipse Announcement section. After reading the posts, I am curious about something. UML support has been on the product roadmap for more than a year. I understand that the PRO pricing accelerates that for those who are willing to pay. What I want to know is, “Will UML ever be in the core product, now that there is a premium product that includes the feature?”. In my mind, the tiered feature set is the real slippery slope. If I have $25000 to promise for, let’s say, AspectJ crosscutting (something everyone will eventually need), does that mean that no one can have it unless they pop for the $175 premium product?

Wayne

#233961 Reply

Wayne

MyEclipse was launched in May 2003 at the introductory price of $29.95 USD and with the expectation to raise this rate to $49.95 during Q4/2003. You can find this information at our FAQ section and see the clear “Introductory Price” notice while installing the Enterprise Workbench.

As a special thanks to our customers, the management team decided to forego the rate change despite the phenomenal value when compared to comparable solutions. We have continued to add features at a rapid pace and maintained a world-class support. Today, MyEclipse features rival any Tier I IDE at $3,000 – $5,000 per seat and exceeds many of the SLAs offered at the additional 20% annual premium ($500 – $1000 per user per year.)

The introduction of UML in version 4.0 raised a key question about offering such capability as a stand alone product to avoid loosing its tremendous value when bundled inside an IDE. But we didn’t want to nickel and dime our customers and start a slippery slope of proliferating products sets. We also did not want to impose a price raise on all of our customers that did not need the specialized capabilities in UML and Oracle database development. As such we chose to keep the $29.95 rate indefinitely for our core users, but offered a second tier alternative for those who really need it.

Many organizations would have stopped at this point and called it fair trade. But Genuitec is not your typical company. Management made two important commitment to our customers despite potential financial loss:

1. Provided a automatic free upgrade to the professional level for all active accounts through the end of their membership, and
    2. Will allow all existing accounts the option to renew an additional 12 months of the professional membership at the core rate of $29.95.

To answer your questions:

Will UML ever be in the core product.

The answer will clearly depend on the wide level use and demand for the capability. Based on the history of using UML, the answer is no. But things have a way of changing and, as usual, we will do our best to look out for the best interest of our customers.

In my mind, the tiered feature set is the real slippery slope.

I hope that, by understanding our motives and actions so far, you would agree that we have done everything in our power to avoid the slippery slope.

If I have $25000 to promise for, let’s say, AspectJ crosscutting (something everyone will eventually need), does that mean that no one can have it unless they pop for the $175 premium product?

I’m sure this analogy will make a lot more sense after a couple of drinks. Let me work on that and I’ll get back to you later. 🙂

Jim K
    MyEclipse Subscription Services

#233962 Reply

Wayne Kidd

What I am saying here is that an organization with deep pockets might be able to “accelerate” the availability of some commonly needed feature (maybe AspectJ was not the right example) by pushing it into a special high-priced category (Premium in my example) and thereby keep the feature forever away from the little guy. That is what, for instance, Microsoft did with all of the good database features of Visio. I love the MyEclipse product. I would not be upset with a general price increase. What I would hate to see would be a product like JBuilder where all of the good stuff is more than a little guy can afford.

#233967 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Wayne,

We’re all about the little guy. Our entire model is based on our tools being easily affordable by the individual developer, wherever in the world he might live. That’s why we didn’t impose a price increase on everyone; we kept it highly affordable for all. We simply allow those who find a few dollars worth of value in the new features to pay for them, without penalizing those that don’t. But don’t worry, we’ll continue to be the value leader in the market and always remain affordable to the individual. We’re not about to “do a Microsoft/Borland” on you. 🙂

#234026 Reply

I think that the -User Focus- of Genuitec is what is made MyEclipse THAT popular. Because we (the developers) have a choice. With MyEclipse we do not need to ask the company (we work in) for a licence of some less usefull tool….. We have the choice to get a better IDE.

MyEclipse features like any other application is user driven. And when the users of MyEclipse are Developers (instead of Companies) then the Product features will be focused on the developers needs.

I have nothing against other IDEs. But the features (of that IDEs) are dictated (I think) by the companies that spend a LOT of money on them. And …. not allways a company knows what a developer needs.

The other Key-Element of the Success of MyEclipse is the unbeatible price for a Tier I IDE.

And Yes… I’m very comfortable with MyEclipse and invite everyone to try it out. 😉

Saludos

#234036 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

All I can say to that is thank you for the support and we really hope you love the new stuff in 4.0 that we’re adding in the M3 build. 🙂

Oh, and I hope you have a blog. 😉

#234660 Reply

Paul
    Participant

@support-scott wrote:

<snip>The Pro version will be an augmented version of 4.0 that contains basically two additional features that were requested by some of our enterprise clients: UML and Oracle-specific trigger/procedure editing and will be available for $49.95. Everything else (WYSIWYG JSP/Struts/JSF editor, hibernate 3, tapestry, spring, etc) will be added to the core product.

Scott,

The 11th issue newsletter says Professional-level features include the MyEclipse UML Modeler, JSF WYSIWYG Designer, and and Advanced Oracle Connector.. I’m not interested in the UML or Oracle stuff, but the JSF WYSIWYG designer does interest me, and your statement above and the newsletter seem to be saying two different things on which subscription level will offer it.

Another item, am I correct in assuming that the JSF WYSIWYG designer is based or dependent on the currently Windows only JSP designer?

Thanks, Paul

#234690 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Paul,

The newsletter is incorrect. The WYSIWYG JSP/Struts/JSF designer will be part of the core product. It’s only the features your not interested in that will be in Pro. 🙂

Another item, am I correct in assuming that the JSF WYSIWYG designer is based or dependent on the currently Windows only JSP designer?

Not really. It’s a complete “do over”, but it will remain windows only at this point.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: core upgrade

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in