facebook

Creating Web Development project with existing source

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Web Development (HTML, CSS, etc.)
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Robert Heath

I have created a Web Development project with existing source, which is the sample code from Struts 2 in Action book.

I created a project under Eclipse 3.5.2 (Galileo) and the code seems to work fine.

I created a project under MyEclipse Version 8.6 which doesn’t work OK. It seems that files were created and directories rearranged. For instance the file index.jsp was created.

Is there a prescribed method for creating a Web Development project from existing source such that additional files are not created?

Thanks – Bob Heath

#313729 Reply

Robert Heath

I created a .war file from the Eclipse workspace, and imported the project into MyEclipse, but it appears that MyEclipse does not recognize the project as a Web Development project.

Also, I tried to import the jar file directly from the directory created by unzipping the files from the book. I cannot import that file.

#313732 Reply

support-swapna

bobheath,

Can you create a new “Web Project” and paste the files under appropriate locations?

Let us know how it works for you.

#313751 Reply

Robert Heath

Of course I can do that!

I use would expect that there are tools to automate that process. Are you telling me that I cannot import a Web Project with MyEclipse?

If Eclipse can do it, but MyEclipse cannot, can you tell me why am I buying MyEclipse?

#313752 Reply

Robert Heath

@support-swapna wrote:

bobheath,

Can you create a new “Web Project” and paste the files under appropriate locations?

Let us know how it works for you.

Let you know how that works for me?! Are you frigging kidding me?

That shallow “support” does not work for me at all!

#313763 Reply

Robert Heath

This so-called support is pretty disappointing. I am not seeing that many questions on these forums, and my question seems to be pretty cut and dry. Plus, there are bunches of moderators that have the handle support-scott, support-michael, support-greg, Support-Brian, support-jed, support-nipun, support-joy, support-chakri, support-swapna. Where are these support people? What gives? Why does it take 48 hours to get a simple question answered? That is at least 48 hours so far.

Are you just waiting for the workforce in India to wake up and come to work? I hope not. If each interaction takes 24 hours, and I get a sloppy answer like the first one, this simple usability question will never get an answer.

#313764 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Bob,

Sorry for the confusion. Here’s exactly how I imported and debugged the Struts in Action examples.

1) Download the SampleApplications.zip file from the Manning site
    2) Unzip the archive to a new directory so we can access the two war files within it.
    3) Start MyEclipse
    4) Open Preferences > General > Capabilities and click “Advanced…”. Then expand “MyEclipse Standard Capabilities” and scroll to the bottom and select “WTP Extras” and click apply and close the preferences with OK
    5) Select File > Import… > Web > War file and select Struts2InAction.war. Accept all the defaults and click Finish
    6) Within the workbench, right-click on the new Struts2InAction project and select Properties > Java Build Path. Then select the “Source” tab and select “Add folder…”. Add the folder Struts2InAction/WebContent/WEB-INF/src and click “OK” to save all changes.
    7) Within the workbench, right-click on the Struts2InAction project and select MyEclipse > “Enhance WTP Project…” and accept all the defaults.
    8) To test the project, right-click on it and select Debug As… > MyEclipse Server Application

That should do it. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

By the way, in going through this I realized it was really more complex than it needs to be and put in an enhancement request to streamline this a good bit. We can surely make this simpler.

#313765 Reply

Robert Heath

Thanks Scott,

There is no File>Import>Web interface. If there was, I would have had this working yesterday.

#313766 Reply

Robert Heath

@bobheath wrote:

Thanks Scott,

There is no File>Import>Web interface. If there was, I would have had this working yesterday.

Tthat interface exists on Galilleo and Helios, but not MyEclipse version 8.6

#313767 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Please see step 4 and do it. 🙂

#313768 Reply

Robert Heath

Thanks Scotty

That seems to work, at least importing the war file. I have the following two suggestions:

1. Maybe you may want to have the setting in #4 to be the default selection. That setting is pretty well hidden. 🙁
    2. Educate the support person that gave me the initial answer on how to fix this problem.

But none the less, it works so far that is.

Thanks for your help!!! 🙂

Bob

#313769 Reply

Robert Heath

The sample application works too!!!

That is HUGE!!!

Thanks again Scotty!

#313771 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Bob,

Glad to help. And you’re right about the defaults; that’s why I entered a usability enhancement request for this. It’s just too hidden the way it is. We’ll get it tightened up for MyEclipse 9.0 in a few weeks.

#313790 Reply

Robert Heath

As I have said before, I agree with that.

If you are going to create a MyEclipse configuration switch to disable a feature available in vanilla Eclipse, I believe that the default setting of that switch should be to enable that that feature which is available in vanilla Eclipse.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Creating Web Development project with existing source

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in