facebook

Ctrl+Right is not working anymore

1. Copilot4Eclipse – GitHub Copilot on Eclipse
  2.  > 
  3. General Discussion
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

andreashoehmann
    Participant

Hi all,

I found that if copilot4eclipse is enabled then in java editors “Ctrl+Right” doesn’t work anymore.

I’m using

Genuitec, LLC Copilot4Eclipse 1.0.0.202401241227 com.genuitec.copilot4eclipse.feature

Ciao
    Andreas

#699859 Reply

wayne

Hi,
    Background on the CTL+RIGHT_ARROW:
    We designed the CTL+RIGHT_ARROW keyboard shortcut to be contextually bound in Copilot4Eclipse as follows:

1. When the cursor is at the beginning of an inline code completion, entering CTL+RIGHT_ARROW will accept the next word or special character in the completion text. Repeated pressing CTL+RIGHT_ARROW will incrementally accept each word or special character of the completion text until the completion text has been fully accepted into the editor text.

2. When no inline completion is displayed then the CTL+RIGHT_ARROW default behavior of advancing the cursor to the next word is active.

If your experience is different than this please share more details and we will investigate deeper. We chose this behavior to be consistent with how the GitHub Copilot plugins for IntelliJ/JetBrains editors and the Visual Studio Code work.

Also, you can disable the #1 behavior by either rebinding Insert Next Word command to a new keyboard shortcut sequence of keys or unbinding it.
    To unbind or revise the “Insert Next Word” keybind do the following (see attached image):
    1. From the Copilot menu > Preferences to open the Copilot4Eclipse preferences as shown.
    2. Expand the Keys settings
    3. Enter “Insert Next Word” in the filter field
    4. Either unbind the keybinding to disable it or enter a different unconflicting key sequence
    5. Click “Apply and Close” to make the changes permanent

I hope this helps.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #699881 Reply

andreashoehmann
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

thanks for the info.

Indeed to remove the extra key binding is the only way for me to get the “normal” java-editor feeling back 🙂

I’m using the ctrl-left and ctrl-right very often and if you ask me the auto-completion should not mix into
    these “standard” key bindings.

Ciao
    Andreas

#699883 Reply

wayne

Thx for sharing. We will revisit the CTL+RIGHT experience and see if it needs to be tightened it up a bit more. Also you may wish to disable the automatic showing of Copilot completions in the Copilot4Eclipse preferences. Then manual request completions, Alt+\ to avoid inline completions from appearing and stealing the CTL+RIGHT command while you are navigating in the editor.
    Regards,
    Wayne

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by wayne.
    #699884 Reply

andreashoehmann
    Participant

Yo.

I can imagine such functionality: using ctrl-left or even ctrl-down but only inside a hover/dialog where a already available suggestion shows up. But then its more or less like the “normal” auto-complete based on copilot … I type something then I see light grey preview of a suggestion and just hit “tab” to use it. If copilot soon or later is able to suggest multiple things then up, down, left keys may make sense again … but only to navigate between the different suggestions.

Kind regards
    Andreas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Ctrl+Right is not working anymore

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in