facebook

CVS Check out? [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello
    MyEclipse 2.5
    Eclipse 2.1.2
    I have shared a web project using CVS in a unix box. Now i am able to retrieve , commit new files into the CVS module. But i dont know how to check out and check in files as those items do not show in the menu when i right click on the file i want to check out.

Please help

Regards
    Farouk

#204642 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Farouk,
    CVS support is part of the Eclipse platform and under the “Team” menu. If you don’t see the “Team” menu, then that means you need to open the CVS perspective, add your repository, and then checkout your project from there. Now you will be able to Update/Commit since the project will be “Attached” to a specific CVS repository.

#204657 Reply

Hello As i have told before i have already shared my project by connecting to a repository and then synch and committed i have even added into the new repository and committed no problem. But dont know how tot check out the file. I went into the team repository browswer and i can see my reposrity but if i click on head , branch or versrion tree to expand nothing seems to be there . Please help asap.
    Thanks

Farouk

#204667 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Farouk,
    It sounds like this may be your first time using CVS. CVS (Concurrent Versioning System) has a concept of checking out a module, which you have already implicitly done by sharing it. From now on, you GET changes from the CVS server by doing and UPDATE and you SAVE changes into the CVS server by doing a COMMIT. That is it. There is no “checking out” then “checking back in” like in VSS. There aren’t even native edit locks in CVS, although I believe they are support with later copies of CVS.

The ‘C’ in CVS is the key here, ‘Concurrent’, everyone can work on everything at the same time and CVS will merge the changes. When there is a merge conflict, Eclipse will present you with the two files side by side and you have to merge the changes manually.

Farouk, please note that your question is outside the scope of this forum as this forum is for the MyEclipse product which focuses on J2EE development. If you need more help troubleshooting this, please address the Eclipse mailing lists as they will be able to provide more detailed information for you.

#204680 Reply

snpe

You have checkout in CVS perspective, but only for directories
    Eclipse have eclipse’s idea for checkout – checkout is normal cvs function for
    files, directories when we have checkout – You can checkout or update
    For eclipse when we do checkout one time then update work things in module

– update work fine – it is termin only

regards

#204684 Reply

Thanks guys so i can just change the files and update. Your absolutely right first timer in cvs as i always worked with PVCS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: CVS Check out? [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in