facebook

Database connection tools

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Any plans for DB connection tools. I use JFaceDBc right now and its pretty good, but something similar that was integrated with MyEclipse (and perhaps even was able to generate the db connection files needed by the various app servers ( 😉 ) would be cool.

#196828 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

You’re right, that would bee cool. Yes, we’re going to be integrating one of the top solutions into MyEclipse at some point, along with a lot of other capabilities, in a series of “themed” enhancements after the GA timeframe.

How about we use this thread for people to post their experiences with the various DB connection tools and let the community make a recommendation on which we should use.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197032 Reply

Ive been quite happy with DbEdit (currently version 0.9.9). Nice and simple and easy to use. I have used and installed JFaceDb also, but preffer the single view for DbEdit compared to multiple views required to get JFaceDb going

#197376 Reply

jimisola

@scott wrote:

How about we use this thread for people to post their experiences with the various DB connection tools and let the community make a recommendation on which we should use.

I used to use Quantum (http://quantum.sourceforge.net/) and liked it a lot. However, it haven’t been updated lately. And I can’t seem to get it to work with the 2.1.x steam.

Jimisola

#197384 Reply

bcholmes

@jimisola wrote:

I used to use Quantum (http://quantum.sourceforge.net/) and liked it a lot. However, it haven’t been updated lately. And I can’t seem to get it to work with the 2.1.x steam.

I recently joined the Quantum development team (and am therefore glad you like it). The last coupl’a releases were packaged badly, but we’re planning a 2.2 release in the next week or so that should be packaged better.

I’ve been interested in adding some J2EE features to Quantum (e.g. create DAOs or EntityBeans directly from a table) so I’m interested to hear if MyEclipse has any similar plans.

#197388 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I’ve been interested in adding some J2EE features to Quantum (e.g. create DAOs or EntityBeans directly from a table) so I’m interested to hear if MyEclipse has any similar plans.

Features like this are on our product plan in the near term. Especially DAO creation, since we’re not big believers in Entity Beans. If you’d like to work with us to add these features to MyEclipse, you can send an email to support@genuitec.com and we can get someone to contact you. By integrating with MyEclipse, your contributions become much more powerful than they are as a standalone plugin. We’re always looking for experienced help.

Glad to hear you’re going to help Quantum out. It’s certainly one of the candidates we’re looking at for inclusion into MyEclipse.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197414 Reply

Abhijit

What is this FUD about entity beans? Let us not get into that, but just let people use it, if they need it. There are two sides of everything and it is always helpful, if I can have both the sides working for me. The latest performance report from TMC has proven that CMP entity beans performing equally if not better with some other direct connectivity tools.
    Thanks,
    -Abhijit

#197422 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

What is this FUD about entity beans?

I’d hardly call a small comment FUD. It’s just a professional observation.

Let us not get into that, but just let people use it, if they need it. There are two sides of everything…

We agree completely, that’s why we included an Entity Bean wizard in the product.

I’m sorry if my comments came across as offensive in some way. I didn’t mean to rile anyone. There’s room for all here. 🙂

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Database connection tools

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in