facebook

DB Browser Interface Improvements

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I know you guys are headed down the final stretch for 3.8.3 for mid-December so if you can’t get these in no big deal. Just some additional enhancement requests to keep in mind:

Important/Annoying–
    1. No Semicolon requirement – Currently you’re required to end each line with semi-colons if you want to have multiple entries in the editor – if it could assume each line was a statement that would be nice

2. Execute by cursor line – Currently you have to highlight the line of a multi-line SQL if you don’t want to execute the first one, being able to just move the cursor and execute that one would be preferred

3. In our environment, usually a user only has access to a single schema and their login name is equal to that schema name – although the ability to filter out schema is definitely appreciated, if there’s a way one could “skip” the selection of schema by selecting an option “Filter to schema “<username>” from username” Also it would be great if upon copy then edit the <username> would then update the schema filter in one update instead of having to re-do the schema filter.

Nice to have in the future–
    1. View for permanent SQL editor – Using a document window for SQL is interesting, but it would also be nice if there was a permanent view by default at the top that I could always type anything into. For lots of people I think creating a new file and/or working around this by doing the generate select is too strenuous to just get to SQL Editor.

2. In table preview or edit, ability to click on a column to turn on sorting would be nice (both directions depending on click)

3. In table edit it would be nice to be able to insert a new row below the cursor with blank values that one could enter. Editor ideally would be able to type with enter going right to next field, and tab moving across fields

Thanks,

Jay

#220432 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jay,
    I’ve sent all your comments to the DB dev, thank you for taking the time to file them with us.

#220537 Reply

support-jeff

Jay –

Some interesting ideas. I will try to address each one here:

Important/Annoying
    1. I can see the utility, but there are some problems with the approach you suggest. Namely, editing things like functions and procedures makes it nearly impossible. Much more readable to allow newlines in a sql statement. However, how about something like more than one newline gets interpreted as a statement? Still, not sure how requiring a semi-colon is overburdensome…

2. Good idea. I will enter an enhancement request for this one.

3. Already there. When you create a new Connection Profile, the second page of the wizard allows you to select the “Default Schema” – this is the schema that matches your username. I am afraid I do not follow on the second part of the question. Can you walk me through exactly what is going wrong?

Nice to haves:
    1. You can always open a new SQL Editor from an open connection – the “Connected to xxx” node in the browser.

2. Good idea again. I will enter a request on it. Should be easy to do since it is aleady a feature of the results view.

3. Already have a request in om this one.

#220658 Reply

Paul Kaiser

2. In table preview or edit, ability to click on a column to turn on sorting would be nice (both directions depending on click)

2. Good idea again. I will enter a request on it. Should be easy to do since it is aleady a feature of the results view.

Would it b e possible to make sorting a three-state function? Specifically, click once to sort ascending, next click sorts descending, third click reverts to initial order.

Paul

#220694 Reply

GEHC2

Important/Annoying:
    1. Yes, I can see how this might be tough to evaluate if the newline wasn’t the end – cursor run-as should fix this anyway

3. I want something on the 2nd page of the new connection config like the display default schema, but there are differences when I choose that versus filter for the schema name that matches the login/SID. I believe showing the default schema on our large shared database servers doesn’t result in the proper filtering that manually selecting a filter equal to SID/schema name does. So, if there’s a way to add an option in addition to default schema just below that called “Display only the login schema of <SID/Schema name from connection string in 1st page>” which gets the variable from the last part of the <database_name> URL. However, this might be tough to implement for all since each database type offers a different URL format – I’m using Oracle.
    I mainly bring this up because if people copy a connection where just one schema has been filtered, the copy has no filter. If it could filter, like the first one, based upon the database_name in the URL string in both the original and copied version since the string must change that’d be nice, but again pretty Oracle specific.

A couple other ones I thought of (don’t know if there are already enhancements open for these):
    1. Export SQL results and/or Table Info-Preview Tab to CSV or XLS
    1B. Ability to select sub-areas of table to export to CSV/XLS (pretty darn advanced, so not holding my breath)
    2. Option to have a where condition in SQL Results (maybe also Table Info-Preview)
    2B. Make where condition composer more of a additive window where you can click an icon then add or remove conditions and have dropdowns of field names, potential operators, and text area (two if you use between) would be heaven

Thanks again,

Jay

#220728 Reply

infoscribe

Just joined up today and was evaluating the DB Tools since that is what I will be using a lot of. My first impression was that this was pretty cool but quickly died off when I couldn’t figure out how to have shown the number of rows in the _complete_ result set. Am I just missing something? if I do a select and it would return 5066 rows, but the prefs say only return the first 100 rows, shouldn’t I see something like “Rows 100 of 5066 Returned” or something? Iin the DB development we do here at work the number of rows returned for specific queries is just as important as the actual data in the records.

Thanks
    Mike Jackson

#220731 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Mike,
    IIRC removing the limit on what is returned should be in 3.8.3 (end of this week release most likely), can you give that a try and see if everything you want is there?

#220732 Reply

infoscribe

So I go to Window->Preferences->MyEclipse->Database Explorer and try to enter “0” for the Limit Rows Fetched for SQL Execution but it says the allowed values are 100 to 5000. I tried -1 just on a whim but when I run an sql command that I know returns 5066 records I still get something less than that. In the bottom corner of the SQL Results Tab is “2000/?”.

Mike.

PS. I Just downloaded the “Free Trial” that was available today, 12/08/2004.

#220739 Reply

support-jeff

Mike –

Please re-read Riyad’s post… “3.8.3 (end of this week release most likely)”… Free Trial is not 3.8.3, it is 3.8.2. Patience.

Jay –

1. Same issue applies; cursor-position execute still needs to parse out the statement. So not a solution.

3. As you say, it is vendor specific problem. I am inclined to just make it clearer that “default” == “username” and leave it at that. If you want a specific schema, even one with the same name as the database in the URL/SID, select it specifically.

As for the other requests, #1 is already in the request pipeline, and #2 is not going to happen – you have the ability to further restrict or expand results by modifying your SQL in the editor.

#220742 Reply

infoscribe

Sorry.. I thought that might be the issue. I’ll wait till 3.8.3 is out for the free trial to see if the problems are solved.

Thanks for the quick feedback.
    Mike Jackson

#224744 Reply

Hello,

I was wondering from the original message nice to have #2 (column sort) and #3 (insert into SQL Result/worksheet-like data entry) if there was any ETA?

Two additional enhancement requests for Table Info-Preview:
    A. Extend the copy functionality for all rows and/or selected rows to this area too
    B. Ability to insert row, delete row, and filter based upon SQL (perhaps this could replace SQL editor?)
    C. Ability to set preferences to warn before disconnect or exit Eclipse that there may be changes that have not been committed and ask if a commit should be sent
    D. The two features mentioned above for SQL result should also be in the table preview area

Thanks,

Jay
    D.

#224820 Reply

support-jeff

No ETA, Jay. Sorry. Thay have me tasked to Hibernate Tools for the next couple months.

A. Probably not a big deal, I will add it to the list.

B. Not sure I follow. Are you talking about the direct edit feature? If so, that already lets you filter based on where clause. Ability to insert and delete is a future item already.

C. Hmmm. I would have to think about this one carefully…this could present some tricky situations, and short of “dirty editor” hooks I am not sure how one would intercept the exit from eclipse (although, since it is possible with editors, there has to be some way to do it?) Just seems overly “hand-holding” to me. I will add it to the list.

#225231 Reply

B. Yes, you have filter in the edit table when right click, but I see users most often just look at table preview or SQL results for table views and having the ability to filter here and sort asc/dsc would improve their experience quite a bit. Also, an add/remove row feature perhaps in edit table as well as table preview would be good.

C. Just seeing if you’d gotten the request from others – doesn’t seem plausible without some big changes which might be bad, ok to take off the list if it gets A/B and earlier requests done faster!

Thanks,

Jay

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: DB Browser Interface Improvements

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in