DB Explorer unable to show Oracle tables and columns remarks

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Francesc Rosés Francesc Rosés 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Francesc Rosés
    Francesc Rosés
    Participant

Hello,

I’m using an Oracle database in one of my projects and I observed DB Explorer is unable to show Oracle tables and columns remarks.

I think may be interestig DB Explorer can show this metadata info.

I know there is a trick to obtain Oracle tables and columns names. If you use java.sql.Connection.getMetaData() method the names are missing. By default, Oracle JDBC driver do not provides the names. You must do a casting to oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection class and use the method setRemarksReporting(boolean) to force the driver to provide this information:

java.sql.Connection con = ....
    jdbc.driver.OracleConnection oCon = (jdbc.driver.OracleConnection) con;
    oCon.setRemarksReporting(true);
    DatabaseMetaData md = oCon.getMetaData();
    ResultSet rs = md.getTables("null", "aSchema", "aTableName", new String[] {"TABLE"});
    while (rs.next()) {
      String remarks = rs.getString("REMARKS");
    }

May be the DB Explorer problem not showing Oracle remarks is not the bizarre method needed to obtain Oracle metadata. But if this is the problem, I hope this few lines of code can help you.

Best regards and thanks for your excellent work!

Francesc Rosés

#319604 Reply
    Profile photo of support-tony
    support-tony
    Keymaster

Francesc,

Thanks for pointing out this omission. I’ve raised a problem report for the lack of column comments and an enhancement request to show table comments.

Thanks, also, for the hints on how this may be implemented.

#319736 Reply
    Profile photo of Francesc Rosés
    Francesc Rosés
    Participant

You’re welcome!

Francesc Rosés

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: DB Explorer unable to show Oracle tables and columns remarks

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.