facebook

EA2 deletes everything in my WEB-INF classes folder

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Old Posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

When I do a rebuild on a project, my WEB-INF/classes folder is completely cleaned out of all files. At this point in the development I don’t have any java code yet, only TLD files and a few property files, which are supposed to be in the classes folder.

Is this a bug? Is there a way to turn this off?

#196446 Reply

No Operation

guess you have defined some src directory.
    So on build the output dir (WEB-INF/classes) is erased and reassembled with your sources.

Conclusion: Sources are not only Java files. All files you wanna have in the output directory must be in the source directory and are placed there using “some” tool. For *.java the tool is “javac”. For other it is “copy”.

NOP

#196458 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

What NOP said is correct. This behavior has caused confusion with Eclipse users since the first Eclipse release. Whenever a build is done, the output directories are always scrubbed. It’s an Eclipse thing. To get your TLD’s to be copied there, simply place them in a designated source folder and tie the folder to the classes directory. Then, on each build they’ll be automatically copied over for you.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196469 Reply

Must have been having a bad hair day yesterday – thanks for pointing out the obvious 😳

I guess I was suprised because for my java projects, my default output folder is a bin directory.

However, when I went back through the new Web Project wizard, I noticed that there isn’t an option for setting the output folder (I think I can change this after the project is created through the properties). You may wish to consider this as an option in future releases. Where I’m working, all our projects don’t have the source files set up as you described, and therefore would get scrubbed after I retrieved the source from CVS.

#196473 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

However, when I went back through the new Web Project wizard, I noticed that there isn’t an option for setting the output folder

This is by design since according to the WAR spec all class files go WEB-INF/classes so this is what we set up. Using the standard for exploded formats allow us to automate project setup, deployment, etc. Using any non-standard formats puts much more work on the user, which we try to eliminate in order to increase their productivity.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196502 Reply

@scott wrote:

Using the standard for exploded formats allow us to automate project setup, deployment, etc. Using any non-standard formats puts much more work on the user, which we try to eliminate in order to increase their productivity.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

I understand, but again – not having an option on the output folder makes it harder for those of us using this product where we don’t get to decide on the organization of a project before hand.

#196503 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I understand what you’re saying. Unfortunately, without putting classes into the WEB-INF/classes directory we can’t automate the deployment of the project since source layout will then become somewhat arbitrary.

Of course, you can still change the output path after project creation, as long as you’ll be writing your own deployment scripts, and still use the MyEclipse application server connectors to start your servers to enable debugging your applications. We just won’t be able to keep your projects in sync with the server automatically like we can for projects that are laid out according to the standards.

Still works though.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: EA2 deletes everything in my WEB-INF classes folder

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in