facebook

EAR including SARs, PARs, EJB3s, WARs to JBoss 4.0.3

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Frank Weber

So far I worked with EJB3s and WARs and deploy exploded archives separate via custom location. Hot-sync works for the JSF side and I don’t need to worry about maintaining ant scripts. So far so good… Now I want to extend this to deploy an EAR including SARs, PARs, EJB3s, WARs to JBoss 4.0.3 based on the DVD Store under http://www.jboss.com/docs/trailblazer

To my understanding SARs and PARs projects could be implemented via the ME ejb project, but I could not get the WAR to deploy with the right extensions when they are linked to an EAR. Please give me some advise.

I have notice that custom location suffix has been added. (How) Should this be used?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

#240314 Reply

Frank,

I came to EAR deployement and Ant just bc my project was becoming bigger and it helped managing it. Doing separate deployement of the EJB3 and WAR files works perfectly but causes other problems.

I had problems with utility classes that are used by both the EJB and the WAR. You work on the web app, chage the class, but your change is not considered bc it is actually loaded by the parent class loader.

EAR deployement with Ant was quite hard to setup, but now when I deploy, it is always clean. And I never have to restart JBoss, thing I had to do several times a day.

One thing you might do with the existing MyEclipse is to create your EJB projects on J2EE 1.4 spec, with an ejb3 extension, then remove J2EE 1.4 libs from the classpath and replace them with EJB3 libs. Doing so make it possible to use MyEclipse EAR packaging facilities. I had to cancel this option because I could not finetune it, but it might help anyway.

Bernard

#240315 Reply

l r

#240402 Reply

Frank Weber

Thank God, I got the DVD Store to work (exploded with suffix), EAR including SARs, PARs, EJB3s, WARs in separate ME projects with the respective suffix… now I need to test the configuration in more detail.

However I am not sure whether this separate project structure is advisable when it gets more complex? Does it not need some sort of build management, including all the resources …
    But to my understanding you loose out on the hot-sync with the ant route, correct?
    And regarding the CVS, with the ant route that seems to be straight forward, but I wander how this separate projects fit to the CVS?

Any advise is highly appreciated,

Frank

#241042 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

However I am not sure whether this separate project structure is advisable when it gets more complex? Does it not need some sort of build management, including all the resources …

I’m not sure what your specific concern is. Having separate projects is a way to manage complexity, by logical division of the work. What sort of “build management” are you referring to?

But to my understanding you loose out on the hot-sync with the ant route, correct?

Yes, and you get to write and maintain a few hundred lines of ant code. Not pleasant.

And regarding the CVS, with the ant route that seems to be straight forward, but I wander how this separate projects fit to the CVS?

You simply check them all into CVS as separate projects. For those that need to build the application, simply provide them with a Team Project Set (File > Export… > Team Project Set…) containing the projects.

From the sounds of it, you’re doing exactly the right thing. Don’t feel bad because you didn’t have to write any Ant and hot-sync works for you automatically. 🙂

#241048 Reply

Frank Weber

Scott,

thanks for your feedback and confirmation.

Frank

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: EAR including SARs, PARs, EJB3s, WARs to JBoss 4.0.3

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in