facebook

Eclipse 2.1.1 and MyEclipse

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Old Posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Are there any issues regarding upgrading eclipse to 2.1.1?

#196646 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Yes, there are. Please don’t. 🙂

We’ll have versions for Eclipse 2.1 and 2.1.1 for the GA release on 7/15. Give us a couple of weeks and you’ll be good to go.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196653 Reply

Davi Rocks

@scott wrote:

Yes, there are. Please don’t. 🙂

We’ll have versions for Eclipse 2.1 and 2.1.1 for the GA release on 7/15. Give us a couple of weeks and you’ll be good to go.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

I’m new to your product. Are you saying EA2 doesn’t support eclipse 2.1 and that I shouldn’t install it on eclipse 2.1.1? I don’t want to start our project on any other version than 2.1.1, given the schedule for 3.0 and I don’t want to spend time updating tools. What is the seriousness of this restriction?

#196658 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

What I’m saying is that EA2 supports only Eclipse 2.1, but not 2.1.1 that was released a couple of days ago. We will have full 2.1.1 support, in addition to 2.1 support, in the GA release on 7/15.

What is the seriousness of this restriction?

It’s rather serious in that the trial licensing mechanism was broken by the changes so it basically won’t run without a purchased subscription key. Other than that, there have been no other showstoppers identified yet. But since the 2.1.1 release is so new we’ve really only begun our internal testing so we are certainly treating 2.1.1 as unsupported for EA2.

Remember, one of the advantages you get from MyEclipse membership is that we worry about the version compatabilities for all the tools, instead of you. Of course, this is only an issue if your project kicks off before 7/15 since you can just kick back and wait for the GA release.

However, if you have already upgraded your subscription (you need a key) and you’re determined to give 2.1.1 a try before we do, I’d suggest that you at least do a parallel installation with your 2.1 version on a new workspace so that your only risk is time spent. Also, if you head down this route and encounter problems, please report them directly to me via email rather than to the forums in order to avoid confusing anyone.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196662 Reply

lwerner

> What I’m saying is that EA2 supports only Eclipse 2.1, but not 2.1.1

Hmm. I downloaded the EA2 trial a week or so ago and installed it on top of 2.1.1 RC2, and it’s been working fine as far as I can tell. It’s a great environment, by the way.

Then last night I tried updating to Eclipse 2.1.1 using the updater. That fails, with this message in workspace/.metadata/.log:

!SESSION Jul 04, 2003 00:22:21.967 ---------------------------------------------
    java.version=1.4.1_03
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -install file:C:/tools/eclipse/
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 Jul 04, 2003 00:22:21.967
    !MESSAGE Invalid Menu Extension (Path is invalid): com.genuitec.myeclipse.deploy.action.undeployaction
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 Jul 04, 2003 00:22:21.967
    !MESSAGE Invalid Menu Extension (Path is invalid): com.genuitec.myeclipse.deploy.action.deployaction
    !ENTRY com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core 1 1 Jul 04, 2003 00:22:23.623
    !MESSAGE Can't find resource bundle 'com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.configuration'. Exception: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.configuration.properties, locale en_US

I suspect that this has something to do with the fact that the MyEclipse plugins live in a separate directory from eclipse (in my case, c:/tools/myeclipse/eclipse/plugins vs. c:/tools/eclipse/plugins). I’m not sure if MyEclipse was supposed to install itself that way (if so, why?), but that’s what it did.

Since my system works now, I suppose I’ll just wait until you come out with a version that officially supports 2.1.1 and then try the update again. (Are you going to try to ensure that this works?) I can do a full re-install if I have to, but that would be pretty ugly.

Laura

#196663 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

The log messages you provide result from internal untidiness in the EA2 codebase and should not conflict with Eclipse 2.1.1 in any way. Note that I’m not claiming E2.1.1 support yet since it is still in testing. So the source of the error messages is internal and not due to a plugin location issue as you hypothesize.

I’m glad you brought up the plugin location topic. MyEclipse is going big time and corporate development environments can not support willie-nillie adhoc plugins thrown into a common space. The defacto model used by most developers is a configuration management nightmare waiting to happen. One of the benefits of a MyEclipse product is that we take care of your environment in a practical well thought out manner.

As you point out MyEclipse installs external to Eclipse. This is by design and is known as a product extension. Other than WSAD I believe MyEclipse is the first to make use of this capability. The value is that you can install a suite of features and plugins in 1 shot without fear of dorking your base Eclipse install or existing plugins. Configuration and updates are cleanly managed. Lastly the MyEclipse component architecture consists of a hierarchical set of features, each feature responsible for a category of 1 or more plugins. This allows a user to enable/disable MyEclipse in one shot from the Update Manager. Pretty cool stuff. This is one key difference between plugins and products that are implemented as plugin.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

#196667 Reply

peterjb

There appear are to be some other issues with MyEclipseIDE and Eclipse 2.1.1 other than the licencing issue your alluding to.. The error below occurs when attempting to click on a warning or error in a JSP from the task list. It fails to open the required JSP in the editor. This works correctly in Eclipse 2.1 with the same JDK.

Cheers

Peter

!SESSION Jul 06, 2003 00:28:05.112 ———————————————
    java.version=1.4.2
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_AU
    Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -data h:\projects\eclipse2 -showlocation -install file:G:/eclipse/
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 Jul 06, 2003 00:28:05.112
    !MESSAGE Invalid Menu Extension (Path is invalid): com.genuitec.myeclipse.deploy.action.undeployaction
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 Jul 06, 2003 00:28:05.122
    !MESSAGE Invalid Menu Extension (Path is invalid): com.genuitec.myeclipse.deploy.action.deployaction
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 4 2 Jul 06, 2003 00:28:13.524
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: “org.eclipse.jface”.
    !STACK 0
    com.genuitec.eclipse.core.T: very bad object write
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.O.?(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.M.?(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.M.?(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.ViperCore.?(Unknown Source)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.core.ViperCore.?(Unknown Source)
    at de.bb.bje.eclipse.editors.BJspEditor.init(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.createSite(EditorManager.java:604)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openInternalEditor(EditorManager.java:666)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditorFromDescriptor(EditorManager.java:459)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditorFromInput(EditorManager.java:333)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditor(EditorManager.java:424)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2056)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$6(WorkbenchPage.java:2004)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:1991)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:69)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:1986)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openMarker(WorkbenchPage.java:1963)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:1903)
    at org.eclipse.ui.views.tasklist.GotoTaskAction.run(GotoTaskAction.java:50)
    at org.eclipse.ui.views.tasklist.TaskList$7.open(TaskList.java:550)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$2.run(StructuredViewer.java:397)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:1006)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:413)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireOpen(StructuredViewer.java:395)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:605)
    at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$6.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:694)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireOpenEvent(OpenStrategy.java:209)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$2(OpenStrategy.java:204)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:233)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:81)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:840)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:1838)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:1545)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1402)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.run(Workbench.java:1385)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:858)
    at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:291)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)

#196668 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Peter,

You’re correct. The proper course of action is to wait for us to validate on 2.1.1, which will be done for the GA release.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196781 Reply

juicyparts

Scott,

I just registered, downloaded and installed MyEclipse /before/ I read this post and I’m using Eclipse 2.1.1. 🙁

My question is, Will I be able to use the GA version once it comes out because my initial 30-days will not have expired by then?

I was/am very eager to ‘kick the tires’ of MyEclipse but if it won’t work reliabily in v2.1.1 – well that kind of ‘kills the mood’ if you know what I’m saying…

Mel

#196782 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Mel,

My question is, Will I be able to use the GA version once it comes out because my initial 30-days will not have expired by then?

Yes, you will. We’re resetting the 30-day trials for the GA product. So, you’ll be able to kick the tires on the 2.1.1 compataible release for the full 30-days. However, you really shouldn’t need that long to convince yourself that we’re the way to go. 😉

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Eclipse 2.1.1 and MyEclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in