facebook

Eclipse Database Explorer throws Exception with MySQL

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

adrian.challinor
    Participant

When attempting to connect to MySQL database from the MyEclipse Database Explorer I get the message:

Error while performing database login with the test driver:
      Error during query: Unexpected Exception:
      java.io.CharConversionException given: null

Nested Stack Trace:

This is a complete reinstall of my environment on Linux 2.6.20-16 on Ubunto on am AMD64 cpu. I downloaded the GA version of Eclipse and installed. After configuring Eclipse, I downloaded and installed MySQL.

Java JRE is: java version “1.6.0”
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)

MySQL is: mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.38, for pc-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2
    Eclipse: 5.5.1 GA
    MyEclipse: 5.5

I have a database connection setup with the following parameters:
    DriverName: test
    Connection URL: jdbc:mysql:///backupDB
    Username: adrian
    Password: …..
    Driver JARs: /usr/ocal/mysql-connector-java-5.0.5/mysql-connector-java0bin.jar
    Driver Class: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

Schema Details: “display defaults schema only” (but have tested with all options).

The error occurs when I attempt to open the connection. If I vary the login parameters it will cause an error “Access denied for user”, so I have proven that the Database Exporer has actually connected. It is executing some form of SQL at this point. I am assuming that this is probably a “Show Databases;” command. I have tried a variety of connection parameters to localhost, the IP address, 127.0.0.1, the fully qualified host name. None of these were successful.

I have a (small) test program in Java that connects with the same connection parameters and counts the rows in a table and exits. This works under the same Eclipse and using the same JAR file. It successfully performs the connection, runs a simple query and cloes down. This proves that the MySQL database is accessible and I do not have a permissions problem.

Any suggestions as to the next thing I should try?

#270907 Reply

adrian.challinor
    Participant

I may have found a problem. I recalled an article I had read sometime ago about a bug in Eclipse 3.2 regarding an error in gtk on 64bit systems. The eclipse solution is to replace org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_64_3.2.2.v3236.jar with a version that will be released in Eclipse 3.3. This gets Eclipse working. However, another forum suggested an alternative work around, to define

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/mozilla

I did this and – the DBExplorer can now connect.

I do not know if this is a solution or a co-incidence.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Eclipse Database Explorer throws Exception with MySQL

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in