facebook

?? Eclipse is Handicapped for Java EE 5??

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Bob

I came across an article that slams Eclipse pretty hard.
    I have built a number of sites with the IDE but have not yet used the EAR project.

[ur=http://www.devx.com/opinion/Article/28723]Opinion: Eclipse Fails to Meet the Enterprise Java Developer’s Needs[/url]

After reading this I went and read the EAR tutorial (Introduction to Enterprise Application Projects) though for me it left as many questions unanswered as it answered. I will need to build a demo site with it and work on it to see if I agree with the author.

What do you think of Eclipse’s ability to be what a enterprise developer needs?

#273504 Reply

Loyal Water

Is this an Eclipse or a MyEclipse poll ?

#273832 Reply

Is this an Eclipse or a MyEclipse poll ?

Good question. This is an article written by a NetBeans fanboy, nothing more, nothing less IMO. Eclipse is a plugin container and it is well known that you have to find the plugins that suit your style or needs. NetBeans 6.0 is just beginning to catch up with Eclipse 3.2/MyEclipse 5.5 and it is still a work in progress, no GA version available.

#275484 Reply

wsoditus

Not sure how to vote here… I can’t see anything to click to register a vote in the poll.

but as a long-time user of Intelli-J now forced to use MyEclipse, my initial impressions aren’t all that positive. I’m seeing a lot of bugs, not getting any tech support response to my post, a lack of some common IDE features (or they’re just harder to get to and use). MyEclipse has some nice things that Intelli-J doesn’t, but… it’s just painful to use in a lot of ways…

#275491 Reply

Loyal Water

Not sure how to vote here… I can’t see anything to click to register a vote in the poll.

The poll is not open anymore.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: ?? Eclipse is Handicapped for Java EE 5??

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in