facebook

Eclipse "Software Update" fails with NullPointerEx

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

smcnamara

Hello:

I’m having a problem with updating my eclipse software, and can’t seem to locate any information in the FAQs or elsewhere on the forums.

My Environment
    ————————————————————————–
    Windows XP
    Eclipse 3.0.0 (Fresh install for MyEclipse)
    Serveral Plugins installed including P4-WSAD
    8 PDE plugins
    MyEclipse v3.8.4
    JDK v1.4.2-b28 for both Eclipse and AppServer (Oracle OC4J)

The Problem
    —————————————————————————
    Any attempt to use Help->Software Updates functions results in a popup error saying “NullPointerException.” Contents of the Eclipse logfile are as follows:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.ui 4 0 Mar 09, 2005 11:12:29.787
    !MESSAGE java.lang.NullPointerException
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.update.internal.search.UpdatesSearchCategory$UpdateQuery.run(UpdatesSearchCategory.java:261)
    at org.eclipse.update.search.UpdateSearchRequest.searchOneSite(UpdateSearchRequest.java:338)
    at org.eclipse.update.search.UpdateSearchRequest.performSearch(UpdateSearchRequest.java:207)
    at org.eclipse.update.internal.ui.wizards.SearchRunner$1.run(SearchRunner.java:96)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:101)

Any help is greatly appreciated since I know I’m behind by at least on patch to the Eclipse core.

#226431 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Try and shut down MyEclipse, edit your shortcut that you use to launch it and add the -clean command line argument then restart. See if that helps.

#227883 Reply

smcnamara

That actually caused my “MyEclipse” installation to no longer be found, and the entire IDE stopped working properly. I’ve uninstalled both MyEclipse and eclipse, and am trying a fresh install. That sucked.

#227900 Reply

Nabil Suleiman
    Participant

-clean doesn’t wipe out a plugin installation, weird.

#227902 Reply

Riyad Kalla

As nabil correctly pointed out, -clean merely erases the plugin cache, which makes Eclipse rebuild it on the next startup… if -clean barfed on your install then there was something seriously wrong with the install (not your fault, likely just some corrupt plugin state or something wacky). Either way I think you did the right choice with the fresh install to remove any other potentials that could popup.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Eclipse "Software Update" fails with NullPointerEx

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in