facebook

Enh: Designer Forms

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello,

What I’d like to see is a mode for the designer where I can set which elements on the page can be changed and how.

Example: I have a website and I want users to be able to send me new pages. Ideally, they would be able to use the actual layout of the site with me providing the CSS styles to set which parts they can change.

Plus, with the help of a DTD or Schema, I’d like to specify which elements and styles are allowed at various places.

Or, thinking the other way around: I’d like to be able to specify a CSS plus a Schema for the editor plus a HTML file with the layout. A special mapping file would specify which element/attribute in the schema goes where in the layout.

Example:

Schema defines a XML document which has a “character” element with a “firstName” and a “familyName” attribute. They allow only text as children. The CSS would say to format them plain. The HTML would give a nice frame to display a story character. In it, there is a DIV with the id firstName and one with familyName or maybe a special element called “EditableElement” with the attribute “character@firstName” (XPath to the element in the Schema).

Then in the website, I could use the very same layout to generate a non-editable version for display only.

With a couple of small changes, the very same layout could be used to create a online editing form using Mozile (Inline editor of Mozilla).

Is there any chance that something like this would be implemented?

Is there any way to help to get this done?

Thanks,

Aaron Digulla
    http://www.philmann-dark.de/

#218854 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Moving to feature requests.

Also to answer your questions:
    1) Realistically this has never been asked for before and sounds to not only be a big undertaking, but fairly far outside the scope of MyEclipse’s core tooling focus.
    2) The way something like this would get implemented most likely, is if it were donated OR there was a loud outcry from the users for it.

We are constantly juggling resources, so if we have 20 users asking for Hibernate support, and 200 other users asking for database modelling and 2 users asking for CSS/Schema-controlled HTML editing, we have no choice, we have to focus on the modelling first, then the Hiberntae support and then lastly the smaller requests.

This is likely not what you wanted to hear, but I wanted to give you a straight answer.

#218918 Reply

Hello,

I appreciate the honest answer 🙂 So in the spirit of OSS, I’ll make my own judgement if this feature is important enough for me to spend a few hundred hours on it.

Use the source, Luke.

But where is the source? Is the source for the designer available somewhere?

Thanks,

#218934 Reply

Riyad Kalla

The source to the designer isn’t open source, which does present a bit of a chicken or the egg problem we realize. You can contact support@genuitec.com with a detailed description of your case if you are interested in working with us on developing this feature. The support team would be able to determine if this is a) something we would want and b) if working together is the best way to get this done.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Enh: Designer Forms

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in