facebook

Error when closing JSP files (Linux) [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

tarantula
    Participant

Hi,

I’m running Eclipse 3.0 with MyEclipse 3.8.2 on a Fedora Core 2 Linux installation. My JDK is 1.4.2_05 both for Eclipse and for launching my application server. The only other plugin I have besides MyEclipse is the Sysdeo Tomcat plugin. Eclipse was installed cleanly for MyEclipse and I recently uninstalled 3.8.1 and installed 3.8.2. This problem occurred before and after upgrading MyEclipse.

Here’s how the problem occurs. I open a JSP file in the IDE and when I try to close it I get an error dialog box saying “An error has occurred. See error log for more details.” Here is the log output. Would someone please help steer me in the right direction on finding a solution to this?

Thanks in advance,
    tarantula

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 Sep 27, 2004 00:57:17.163
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: “org.eclipse.core.runtime”.
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.ibm.sse.editor.views.contentoutline.StructuredTextEditorContentOutlinePage.setConfiguration(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.sse.editor.views.contentoutline.StructuredTextEditorContentOutlinePage.dispose(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.ui.views.contentoutline.ContentOutline.doDestroyPage(ContentOutline.java:136)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.removePage(PageBookView.java:689)
    at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.partClosed(PageBookView.java:620)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartListenerList$3.run(PartListenerList.java:77)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:615)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartListenerList.firePartClosed(PartListenerList.java:75)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.firePartClosed(WorkbenchPage.java:1401)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.closeEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:1001)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.closeEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:960)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorPane.doHide(EditorPane.java:95)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.close(PartStack.java:339)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.close(EditorStack.java:208)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack$1.close(PartStack.java:74)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.DefaultPartPresentation$1.closeButtonPressed(DefaultPartPresentation.java:107)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PaneFolder.notifyCloseListeners(PaneFolder.java:484)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PaneFolder$3.close(PaneFolder.java:169)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.CTabFolder.onMouse(CTabFolder.java:2075)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.CTabFolder$1.handleEvent(CTabFolder.java:291)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:731)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2938)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2642)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1377)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1348)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:254)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:141)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:96)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:335)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:183)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:644)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:628)

#216025 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

tarantula,

Can you please ensure that the Outline View is open and visible when editing your JSP files. If you do this, do you get the same error when closing them?

#216058 Reply

tarantula
    Participant

Hi Scott,

Yes, the outline view is open when I try to close the JSP file. I have also tried closing JSPs with the outline view closed but the problem persists. Also, I noticed the preview tab of the JSP editor is missing in 3.8.2. What’s up?

tarantula

#216065 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

tarantula,

Also, I noticed the preview tab of the JSP editor is missing in 3.8.2. What’s up?

Then you have a bad install. Can you please post all the information we request in the [URL=http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-393.html]Posting Guidelines[/URL] thread at the top of this forum? Thanks.

#216077 Reply

Riyad Kalla

tarantula,
    For the best experience, we encourage you to install against Eclipse 3.0.1 SDK (had some 289 bug fixes over 3.0 release) and MyEclipse 3.8.2.

#216143 Reply

tarantula
    Participant

Hi,

Okay. I upgraded Eclipse 3.0 to version 3.0.1 using the Help > Software Updates > Find and Install option, uninstalled and reinstalled MyEclipse 3.8.2 using the installer program, deleted the .log file in my workspace, restarted Eclipse with the -clean option and the problem persists.

I thought it might have something to do with my workspace so I created a new one, created a simple Web project with a default JSP page and the same thing happened. No preview tab for the JSP editor and the same error message mentioned above.

PS: I updated my original post so I hope it follows the posting guidelines more closely.

Any thoughts?

#216149 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Any exceptions in your log file about inability to load a DLL for mozilla? Also what version of mozilla are you using? The SWT browser widget required gtk2 support compiled into the mozilla binary, and IIRC version 1.4 of Mozilla, but a user had version 1.6 work as well, I don’t know that version 1.7 was supported or not, might want to check the Eclipse bug tracker for more info about that.

#216163 Reply

tarantula
    Participant

I was using Mozilla 1.7.3 and incidentally the Web Browser view wasn’t working but after following the post http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-2951-highlight-mozilla.html and downloading and installing Mozilla 1.6 the view works and the JSP preview tab is visible again. Alright!

I’m still stuck with my original problem, however, namely the error message when closing JSP files. Earlier today when I uninstalled MyEclipse I ran Eclipse and tried to open and close a JSP and there was no error. What next?

#216168 Reply

Riyad Kalla

tarantula,
    I’m happy to hear the preview is working now, but as far as closing the JSP editor, I”m a little stumped… do you have ANY other Linux box or Windows box handy that you can try and duplicate an install on? I know sometimes FD is known for customizing libraries and their binaries can cause breakages with some Java apps (we’ve seen it before with FD 1 and Eclipse 3/GTK2)… I’m wondering if that is the issue or if its a legit issue… we have quite a few other Linux users on the forums and 3 or 4 of our devs are Linux users and we can’t reproduce this or have encountered it to this point… so we are a bit at a loss as well.

You might want to try a “totally new” approach…
    1) Redownload, unzip Eclipse 3.0.1 to ~/temp/eclipse3.0.1
    2) Redownload, unzip MyEclipse 3.8.2 to ~/temp/myeclipse3.8.2
    3) Run Eclipse, use default Workspace (not your existing one)
    4) Help > Software UPdates > Manage COnfig, add a new Extension pointing to the myeclipse install above
    5) Hit OK and restart Eclipse
    6) Create new Web MOdule Project named “Test1”, create a new MyJsp.jsp default JSP page
    7) Open the JSP page, type “HELLO!” in the body tag, save it and close it.

What happened? WHat was the stack trace in the .log file?

#220621 Reply

tarantula
    Participant

Hi Riyad,

I finally got around to dealing with this and I just wanted to let you know that I followed your advice and my problem appears to have been resolved. I no longer get error messages when closing “structured documents” like HTML, XML and JSP files.

I downloaded a new version of Eclipse (SDK 3.0.1 – Linux GTK version) and I noticed I had downloaded the motif version last time. Perhaps this is what was causing the problem. Also, I downloaded the latest MyEclipse (3.0.2 at this moment) and installed it. All is working well.

Thank you for your help,
    tarantula

#220625 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Thank you for following up, I’m glad it is all working now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Error when closing JSP files (Linux) [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in