facebook

Excluding files from web project build

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

mgrabinski
    Participant

Congratulations on EA2! I can now start to get away from NetBeans for JSP debugging.

I have a couple of issues, however. Is there a way to exclude files from the web project build like there is for the java source build? Specifically, I have some JSP files under the web root that are included by other files and therefore do not have the proper imports. Also, I have some XML that use the &ampnbsp tag without declaring it. The XML is used by Flash so declaring the &ampnbsp tag would cause problems. These show up as errors even though they don’t cause problems with my web app.

Thanks for the help.

#196614 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Is there a way to exclude files from the web project build like there is for the java source build? Specifically, I have some JSP files under the web root that are included by other files and therefore do not have the proper imports.

Yes, we use the method recommended by the latest specification which says that non-toplevel JSP files should hav a .jspf suffix rather than a .jsp suffix. Please see the spec excerpt below:

PROPOSED FINAL DRAFT 3
    JSP.1.1.8 Naming Conventions for JSP Files
    A JSP page is packaged as one or more JSP files, often in a web application, and delivered to a tool like a JSP container, a J2EE container, or an IDE. A complete JSP page may be contained in a single file. In other cases, the top file will include other files that contain complete JSP pages, or included segments of pages. It is common for tools to need to differentiate JSP files from other files. In
    some cases, the tools also need to differentiate between top JSP files and included segments. For example, a segment may not be a legal JSP page and may not compile properly. Determining the type of file is also very useful from a documentation and maintenance point of view, as people familiar with the .c and .h convention in the C language know. By default the extension .jsp means a top-level JSP file. We recommend, but do not mandate, to differentiate between top-level JSP files (invoked directly by the client or dynamically included by another page or servlet) and statically included segments so that:
    • The .jsp extension is used only for files corresponding to top level JSP files, forming a JSP page when processed.
    • Statically included segments use any other extension. As included segments were called ‘JSP fragments’ in past versions of this specification, the extension .jspf was offered as a suggestion. This extension is still suggested for consistency reasons, despite that they are now called ‘jsp segments’.

Also, I have some XML that use the &nbsp tag without declaring it. The XML is used by Flash so declaring the &nbsp tag would cause problems. These show up as errors even though they don’t cause problems with my web app.

While it may not cause a problem, it is still technically an error. This is similar to a well-formed, but invalid, document that does not cause a problem with the program reading it. I’m not sure what to recommend on this one as we’ll validate any XML document with a document type.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Excluding files from web project build

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in