facebook

Export Struts project deployment into build.xml?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

gkasrel

Hello,

I’ll apologize right away in case this is not the best MyEclipse discussion group to post this question to … but here it goes:

Because Eclipse knows how to compile and deploy my Struts project, I was wondering if there is a way to export this logic into a build.xml file, rather than creating it myself by hand. Does MyEclipse (or Eclipse itself) have such a service/feature?

I found a white paper on Eclipse PDE Build at:
    http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.pde.build/notes/usingPDEBuild.html?rev=HEAD

This talks about the ability (at least potentially as I understood it) to export the deployment into a build.xml … however, it seems to fall just shy of a How-To.

Though I did manage to find and install the following PDE plugins:
    eclipse-PDE-3.1M3.zip
    eclipse-PDE-SDK-3.1M3.zip

… I was not able to find anything in the Perspective that would allow me to generate the build.xml file automatically.

Any help would certainly and greatly be appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

-Gene
    gkasrel@yahoo.com

#219689 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Gene,
    Just to clarify a few things… the Building and Deploying of your Web/EJB and Enterprise projects are all handled internally by the MyEclipse builders and deployment tools. There currently is no support for creating an Ant script from them because the functionality of the tools surpass what Ant is able to support, this is why we didn’t just originall use Ant build scripts for everything.

I don’t know what the functionality you are reading about it for or from, but it is not part of MyEclipse so I can’t comment on it accurately (not farmiliar with it) but keep in mind that using MyEclipse 3.8.2 on the Eclipse 3.1 platform is not supported and quite error-prone… so keep your eyes peeled for ‘weird’ behaviors and down grade to Eclipse 3.0.1 for the best experience.

#219731 Reply

gkasrel

Riyad,

Thank you for the quick response.

Just as an idea, I (obviously 😉 ) believe it would be nice if there was at least partial functionallity to generate a script that could do the basic stuff:
    * Compile the .java files
    * Precompile JSPs
    * Write the production output to the proper directory locations in the deployment environment

… because all the information is already required from the user by the config to deploy, run tomcat, etc… it just needs to be assembled in the Ant syntax. … anyway, just a thought.

I guess it’s off to my build scripts 😆 / 😥

Regards,

-Gene

#219734 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hmm… this request has been comming up more and more… we do have some major project enhancements planned for the upcomming months here, maybe after that major work is done we can look again at script exporting to help our the users?

Thanks for the tip.

#219736 Reply

gkasrel

Hi Riyad,

As long as we are on the topic, do know if there is a way to execute MyEclipse features from the command line? … without running the Eclipse Windows UI … in this case it would be to run the project deploy operation?

Something to the effect of …

c:\eclipse> eclipse.exe -myeclipse_strutsdeploy c:\projects\myStrutsProject\

Thanks,

Gene

#219737 Reply

Riyad Kalla

No there isn’t support for something like that at this time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Export Struts project deployment into build.xml?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in