facebook

Features in GA Release [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Wayne Kidd

Since the release is feature complete, I hope you know if any of the features on the roadmap did not make it into the release. Please let us know as soon as possible. I have delayed and managedd some things based on the planned availability of some scheduled features. If they will not be there next week, I need to re-work my plans and think of alternative approaches to some activities. I love the product. Thanks.

Wayne

#196847 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Wayne,

Since the release is feature complete, I hope you know if any of the features on the roadmap did not make it into the release.

I’ll do my best to go over the roadmap and let you know what’s in and what’s not. First, you have to remember that the “roadmap” sets our direction, but not our exact course. We do reprioritize our objectives based on user community feedback, afterall.

So, while I’ll be glad to tell you what didn’t make it into the release, I’m going to start by telling you what we added in its place, that wasn’t on the roadmap. I don’t want you to think we’re slipping; we just make in flight corrections from time to time. 🙂

One of the biggest productivity gains avialable for developers has always been code generation, when it works. And, at MyEclipse we’re all about productivity. As a result, you’ll find that the GA release has extremely sophisticated and integrated support for XDoclet, to make your EJB coding a breeze, among other things. While on the EJB topic, we did one better than the roadmap and added wizards for all flavors of EJB’s, not just session and MDB. Since we have a lot of new users starting up, we also included a customized MyEclipse perspecitive that is preconfigured with all our tools, actions, and some extra shortcuts so our that new users don’t have to scrounge around adding the various capabilities themselves. Again, productivity and ease of use enhancements are our goal.

Ok, fair enough so what had to give for all this goodness? Form-based deployment descriptor editors (because XDoclet generates them anyway :-). The multi-platform browser was cut because we’ll grab the new Mozilla-based one from the Eclipse code stream as soon as it’s committed and have it available before anyone else. The export and import wizards, as well as jar project support are still very important to us, but we had to push them further out due to the staffing needed for “surprise” stuff.

Other than that, I think we’ve got it all. As you can see, it’s not everything on the roadmap, but it’s certainly not less either. I hope we didn’t push one of your “must haves” to add a “who cares”. As always, let us know what you need in the Enhancements forum and we’ll be listening.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196857 Reply

Wayne Kidd

I am disappointed about deployment descriptors (I am non-EJB) and import / export. If jar project support means project sharing, I need to do something soon. The roadmap on the roadmap page talks about customizable templates as if they have always been in 3.0. What is the difference between customizable creation templates and customizable templates, anyway. It sure would be nice to pull Cactus support forward. Better automated unit testing of end-to-end functionality would be a huge productivity gain for me.

#196859 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Wayne,

I am disappointed about deployment descriptors (I am non-EJB)

Actually, XDoclet isn’t just for EJB’s. It contains doclets for several web frameworks as well and offers a lot of code generation capabilities (and descriptor) generation for them as well. Check out all that’s available at http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net.

As far as Import / Export go, what are you really looking for in addition to the standard Eclipse Import/Export capabilities? Giving us some feedback can help us to be sure we cover your needs.

If jar project support means project sharing, I need to do something soon.

I’m not sure what you mean by “project sharing”. Can you be more specific at what you’re looking for?

customizable templates as if they have always been in 3.0.

Please look at the date at the top of the roadmap for the 3.0 release. It’s 3rd quarter, this year. We’re currently about to release the 2.5 version on Tuesday. However, you can still write your own templates and add them to the template wizard system since the version we package is an extension to the Aston wizards.

It sure would be nice to pull Cactus support forward.

We will. We’ll integrate the Apache Cactus plugin in a later release, but we need to do “first things first” and get the projects all the base stuff in place before we worry about automating the testing of it.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196865 Reply

Wayne Kidd

What I mean by project sharing, is automation of the process of pulling in code from a different project into the testing / development framework. For example, I have a utility project that is in active development. That project has classes that are used by my web project. I would like to have some automation of deploying classes from the utility project into the app server so that I do not have to jar up the utility project in order to reference the changed classes. This is similar to the project reference part of project classpath only extended to the app server (and its classloader).

I do not know what
    ” Customizable creation templates for JSP’s HTML, XML, Servlets, and Applets
    ” originally scheduled for 2.0EA1
    means on the roadmap and how it differs from

“Customizable templates” currently scheduled for 3.0 GA in Q3

I guess I don’t understand what you mean by extremely sophisticated and integrated support for XDoclet means. Could it possibly mean XDoclet code completion based on XDoclet generation class. THAT would be sophisticated. It would solve some struts problems that I have.

Thanks again,

Wayne

#196866 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Wayne,

Ok, now I’m clear.

What I mean by project sharing, is automation of the process of pulling in code from a different project into the testing / development framework.

We refer to that one as dependent project deployment support. Is is probably the highest thing on the enhancement list for the deployer and will be the first thing worked on after the GA release. We’ve already completed the design of how we’re going to do it, so its ready for the code/test cycle. Look for it in the first minor release after GA.

On the customizable templates, I believe the 3.0 template mention means we’ll be adding more and more of them. We already had the list above at the 2.1 release, and we added all flavors of EJB’s at the 2.5 release. We’ll continue to add more as more releases roll out.

Could it possibly mean XDoclet code completion based on XDoclet generation class.

That’s precisely what it means. In addition to integrating an XDoclet builder into the build infrastructure so it will be run whenever you manually rebuild a project. There’s also a menu item to rerun you XDoclet generations on demand, if you don’t want to rebuild the entire project.

For a preview look at the XDoclet usage (but not the code assist, just don’t have a screenshot uploaded yet) see here:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=20

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196871 Reply

Wayne Kidd

I guess I still don’t understand where any customizable creation templates are. They were not in EA1, they were not in EA2, and I am in the dark about whether I can create or modify a creation template in 2.5. I want new Servlets to begin the way I want them to as well as new jsp pages and new xml files.

I am an XPer (Extreme Programming). I am currently writing mocks to satisfy my hunger for repeatable tests. The test thing is not just a nice to have for XP types, it is the driving force behind development (see Test Driven Development by Kent Beck – and note that Eric Gamma is a lead on the Eclipse development team (he is also the author of JUnit).

Wayne

#196873 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Wayne,

I guess I still don’t understand where any customizable creation templates are.

We bundle an extended set of the Aston wizards in MyEclipse. While we haven’t yet provided an interface for extending the wizard set, you can find out how to do it manually by reading about it here:
    http://renaud91.free.fr/Plugins/wTemplateComplexFile_en.html

Please remember to keep copies of you additions so you can add them with again when you upgrade MyEclipse. If you feel they are generally useful (ie. not just for your project), we’d love it if you could submit them for inclusion in the product so everyone can benefit.

I am an XPer (Extreme Programming). The test thing…it is the driving force behind development.

No problem. If you don’t want to wait for us to provide Cactus support, the Apache project has a nice plugin for it that you can use with MyEclipse. Feel free to augment in areas we haven’t filled out yet, but also please share your experiences and which addons prove to be reliable and useful to you.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Features in GA Release [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in