facebook

Finding Tomcat 6 logfiles when used as a server in Eclipse

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Mary

Thanks; I was confused that the base and the home were not the same. I still can’t access a servlet that I am calling from the action tag in an html page. I’m not sure what the problem can be now.

#294550 Reply

Mary

Please see a new topic I have posted; I think it might have to do with the values for home and base as I am using the wrong web.xml file i think. I think this is why I can not deliver the servlet. I am using the Kick Start book by Valcarcel. I think I am following the steps correctly there.
    My context root is “/MyProject”. When I look at the properties for MyProject, the project References tab has a Servers project checked. The only server there is Tomcat v6.0 Server at localhost hiwhc has it’s own web.xml. Should this project not be checked?

I started out with a separate install of Tomcat; the I decided to use the embedded Tomcat v6.0 server. Perhaps I have confused myself with all this?

#294767 Reply

Mary

I do have catalina_home and catalina_base clear in my mind now; however, I still have not found where the embedded tomcat server is doing any logging after adding the two VM arguments as suggested above. Am I still missing something?

#294787 Reply

ernestz

If the VM arguments were added correctly, the logs will be in the path specified as “${catalina.base}/logs”.

#294811 Reply

Mary

Well, the puzzle continues then.

VM arguments:
    -D catalina.home= C:/Java/JavaSource/plugins/com.genuitec.eclipse.easie.tomcat.myeclipse_6.5.0.zmyeclipse650200806/tomcat
    -D catalina.base = C:/development/.metadata/.plugins/com.genuitec.eclipse.easie.tomcat.myeclipse/tomcat

However, there are no log files at : C:\development\.metadata\.plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.easie.tomcat.myeclipse\tomcat\logs

#294818 Reply

ernestz

What about the VM arguments for “java.util.logging.manager” and “java.util.logging.config.file” I pointed out in post https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/finding-tomcat-6-logfiles-when-used-as-a-server-in-eclipse/#post-294399

#294820 Reply

Mary

Actually, the arguments in the other post are there:
    -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
    -Djava.util.logging.config.file=”C:/development/.metadata/.plugins/com.genuitec.eclipse.easie.tomcat.myeclipse/tomcat /conf/logging.properties”

but for some reason, the catalina.home and catalina.base are not there! I copied those values from a text document I’m keeping with the information from my research.
    Obviously, I messed up, and I apologize.

#294821 Reply

Mary

I reread my notes, and took a look at the Integrated Sandbox. The catlina-home and catlina-base are in the VM arguments for the launch configuration.
    I shall be very familiar with all the configuration options and screens. I am gratefjul for your patience.

#325324 Reply

javaboy88

I’m experiencing the same problem (finding the server log for the embedded Tomcat 6) in MyEclipse 10.1, but there is no “launch” under Integrated Sandbox/MyEclipse Tomcat 6. So, I cannot follow the previous advice to discover the value(s) of “catalina.base” and/or “catalina.home”. It would be helpful to see the log in order to debug some bean configuration issues in my app.

#325347 Reply

support-swapna

javaboy88 ,

Here is an FAQ on how to enable integrated tomcat logging :
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/myeclipse-tomcat-enable-logging-for-integrated-tomcat/

The catalina.txt will contain log messages(e.g. those output via the java.util.logging.Logger class).

Let us know how it works for you.

#325507 Reply

javaboy88

Okay, that’s a good start. I have a server log now, but it only shows “info” messages. I really need “debug” level to see what is being configured.

#325532 Reply

support-swapna

javaboy88,

Can you check if you can make changes to the logging.properties file as discussed in this thread ?
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4119213/how-to-set-level-logging-to-debug-in-tomcat-6

Hope this helps.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
Reply To: Finding Tomcat 6 logfiles when used as a server in Eclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in