facebook

Format source problems on Linux

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

tarantula
    Participant

Hi,

I’m running Eclipse 3.1 with MyEclipse 4.0M3 on a Fedora Core 3 Linux installation. I would like to report a couple of issues I’ve been dealing with as a MyEclipse on Linux user.

The main problem is with the default shortcut for the Format / Format Source / Format Document command (the command has several names depending on the context). The usual mapping is CTRL-SHIFT-F to clean-up source code for most MyEclipse editors (XML, JSP, HTML, etc).

The Gnome development team has implemented the ISO 14755 standard for entering Unicode Hex characters using CTRL-SHIFT key combinations. Clearly this conflicts with the MyEclipse CTRL-SHIFT-F format source command. The result is usually an underlined F character that disappears when I release the keys. I say usually because the command seems to work in some editors and not in others.

I like to keep my source tidy and I frequently run the format source command when working on a Windows machine. My workflow is much more obstructed on Linux, however, because what should be a good habit actually becomes a nuisance. Even the alternative keyboard shortcut, ESC CTRL-F, is inconsistent and works in some editors but not in others.

I have also tried assigning different keyboard shortcuts to this command in various places within the Window > Preferences > General > Keys dialog without success. I have no plans to hack the gtk source and recompile my OS just to make my IDE happy, so I have found a couple of workarounds:

– use the right click context menu (when available) and choose Source > Format Source Code
    – hit CTRL-SHIFT-F-F-F-F (for some reason the fourth “F” resolves to the expected “F” character)

Another issue I’ve found with 4.0M3 is that the new HTML editor does not honour the “Clear all blank lines” preference in Window > Preferences > MyEclipse > Editors > HTML > HTML Source.

I don’t think Linux users should be punished because their operating systems are standards compliant. Any advice or assurance would be welcome.

Many thanks,
    tarantula

#235066 Reply

Riyad Kalla

tarantula,
    We haven’t customized the default WTP key mappings at all yet nore have we opened the black box of allowing it. For the immediate release of 4.0 I imagine the current key mapping will stay the same, but I will file your comments for investigation to get an idea of why addressing the key mapping issue sooner than later can be important. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Format source problems on Linux

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in