facebook

Group Installation of ME [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have a team of 10 users who are using My Eclipse. We have rolled our own IDE which includes Eclipse, My Eclpse, other Eclipse plugins, WebLogic, etc. When the IDE was built, our 10 license key was put into the IDE. Last month we deployed the IDE which include ME 2.72 RC2 by simple copy (zipping and unzipping) the IDE from one machine to the other 10 machines. This all worked fine and we saw no reprecussions from not “installing” ME on any of the machines. Now we want to roll the new version of ME 2.72 out to these developers.

This raised a few installation questions that I was hoping someone there could resolve for us.

First of all, when I formally install ME on a machine, what else does that do beside add the files to the ME directory and to the Eclipse plugins. In particular, are files added elsewhere on the drive or, in the case of a Windows installation, are there items added to the registry?
      What would you recommend as the best method to roll the changes out to the other machines?
      ➡ Since we copied ME (rather than installing) to all of these machines, the option of formally Uninstalling ME is probably not an option.
      ➡ When I go to Search Available Updates prospective, the only Me option is com.genuitec.enterprise_2.6.200. If I keep that selected and hit the Search Now button, there are no updates added.
      ➡ Treat it similar to an upgrade to Ecipse: Install it on one machine; zip the IDE (or just the ME directory & Eclipse plugins directory) and copy it to another machine

If you have any other suggestions for us to use to roll it out, it would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    James

#204386 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

James,

I’ll see if I can answer your questions.

First of all, when I formally install ME on a machine, what else does that do beside add the files to the ME directory and to the Eclipse plugins. In particular, are files added elsewhere on the drive or, in the case of a Windows installation, are there items added to the registry?

No registry entries are used. We simply copy MyEclipse to its install directory and add a file in the <eclipse-install>/links directory to tell Eclipse where MyEclipse is.

What would you recommend as the best method to roll the changes out to the other machines?

You can completely overwrite each MyEclipse installation with the new version. That’s probably the easiest. In fact, when we roll out 2.7 GA, we’ll include a full set of manual installation instructions as well as providing a complete zip archive, in addition to a double-click installer. The manual install instructions will tell you exactly what’s up.

The other way to do it is upgrade through the Eclipes Install/Update manager directly from our website.

When I go to Search Available Updates prospective, the only Me option is com.genuitec.enterprise_2.6.200. If I keep that selected and hit the Search Now button, there are no updates added.

That’s correct. Version 2.6.200 is the numeric id we gave to 2.7-RC2 because we were reserving 2.7.0 for the 2.7 GA release. When we put it out (by Monday) it will show up in the update perspective and you’ll be able to simply have each user update to the new version.

#204392 Reply

Thanks for the quick feedback 🙂 . Now I understand how to proceed.

You guys are the best ❗

#204393 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

You guys are the best

Thank you. Please help spread the word. 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Group Installation of ME [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in