facebook

Hammurapi Plug-In / Realtime scanning

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Take a look at Hammurapi (GNU GPL) as an integration/plug-in development opportunity:
    http://www.hammurapi.org/doc/Hammurapi.pdf

We’ve found it to be a very complete code quality tool. Right now it is by ant execution only (either from Eclipse ant or regular ant). There is no Eclipse plug-in currently, but I know that it’s someplace the author wants the tool to go.

If an interface could be built for rule in/out/modification, report generation/saving, and execution it would make the tool much more accessible and I think the value of it would be evident to many more developers. It also includes a built-in database server which might be useful for other features of MyEclipse in the future as well.

You can download 3.7.3 at:
    http://www.hammurapi.org/content/download.html

You can also get more info on the interaction/architecture in doc\UserManual.pdf in section 17.

The only concerns I have would be that Hammurapi requires a LOT of memory especially in the report generation phase and if Eclipse+MyEclipse are in the background I don’t know that people with 256 or 512mb would be able to use the tool effectively. There is another sub-tool called Quickurapi that doesn’t do all the advanced reporting that may be another integration point though.

Future expansion could be realtime scanning for these rules in the same way warnings or errors are shown, ability to post results up to Bugzilla or some other repository for storage/review (obviously the author of Hammurapi would also have to help in that featureset), and reports shown in the Eclipse GUI with export to HTML.

Probably worth investigation,

Jay

#222660 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jay,
    Very interesting project indeed.. the Jsel library looks interesting as well. I can certainly file this but due to its relatively new nature and lack of plugin to build on I am fairly sure that we wouldn’t take this task on ourselves without user demand for it.

#224501 Reply

I DEFINATELY AGREE!!!!

Hammurapi is a great tool, but its hampered by a lowsy UI. Correction, it has no UI. I’ve been playing with it over the last few days and it can be really frustrating. I’d be more than happy to help you work outhe use cases for the plugin if you develop it, but as a first one:

right click on Eclipse Navigator folder
    pop menu includes hammuapi
    select hammurapi
    hammurpi runs on directory

sweeeeeet!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Hammurapi Plug-In / Realtime scanning

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in