facebook

Help system stopped functioning

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

blaplante

WinXP pro
    MyEclipse 2.5.1
    Eclipse 2.1.0
    Ineternet Explorer 6.0.2600.0000.xpclient.010817-1148

When I try to view help in Eclipse the following errors are written to the log. I tried to revert to the configuration when I first installed myEclipse workbench and received a complaint that the org.eclipse.help.webapp plug-in could not be found.

I look in the install directory and determined that the help plug-in does exist. Any ideas why it can’t find it?

org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Location of plug-in org.eclipse.help.webapp cannot be obtained.
    at org.eclipse.help.internal.appserver.WebappManager.getWebappPath(WebappManager.java:98)
    at org.eclipse.help.internal.appserver.WebappManager.start(WebappManager.java:46)
    at org.eclipse.help.internal.HelpSystem.ensureWebappRunning(HelpSystem.java:223)
    at org.eclipse.help.internal.DefaultHelpSupport.displayHelpURL(DefaultHelpSupport.java:199)
    at org.eclipse.help.internal.DefaultHelpSupport.displayHelp(DefaultHelpSupport.java:49)
    at org.eclipse.help.ui.internal.HelpContentsAction$1.run(HelpContentsAction.java:47)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:69)
    at org.eclipse.help.ui.internal.HelpContentsAction.run(HelpContentsAction.java:44)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginAction.java:251)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WWinPluginAction.runWithEvent(WWinPluginAction.java:207)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:456)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:403)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$0(ActionContributionItem.java:397)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$ActionListener.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:72)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:81)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:840)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:1838)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:1545)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1402)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.run(Workbench.java:1385)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:845)
    at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:291)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:747)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)

#197532 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

This doesn’t seem like a MyEclipse problem since neither the installer nor MyEclipse ever delete or update the base Eclipse plugins directory. This was by design to avoid Eclipse corruption issues.

Questions:
    1) Was the Help System functioning prior to MyEclipse installation?

2) Have you recently manually added or removed plugins to your <eclipse install>/eclipse/plugins directory? If yes, perhaps you accidentally deleted the webapp plugin.

You will need to reinstall Eclipse followed by MyEclipse to restore your Help System. If you have projects that you wish to keep make sure that during the Eclipse reinstallation process that you do not delete your workspace directory.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

#197538 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Eclipse 2.1.0

What is the build id (Help > About Eclipse Platform)?
    In your Eclipse plugins directory, how many plugin directories do you have that begin with org.eclipse.pde.*?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197560 Reply

blaplante

As I mentioned before the folder in question is still there but when I view plug-in’s from the help view plugin’s button the ide can not find it hence the error when I try to launch help.

Eclipse version 2.1.0 200303272130
    7 plugins that start with org.eclipse.pde.*

The help system has been working since I installed myEclipse work bench and I have not added any plugins since I installed the work bench. I wouldn’t have thought it would be related so when I figure out the problem I will post back in case it happens to anyone else.

#197561 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Well, that’s the correct build version of Eclipse 2.1.0 and that’s the right number of PDE plugins for the full version. This is really peculiar. Please let us know what you determine. However, I feel that in the end you’ll probably have to reinstall Eclipse to correct it but I’d still love to know the cause.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#197562 Reply

blaplante

I know this has nothin to do with nothin but I was greatly saddened today. My latest project uses a cvs repository that somehow eclipse cannot log into so I am stuck with netbeans same as everyone else. If you understand why in netbeans they asks for the cvs root and then has you put in the project path in a separate window after you login, I could probably get my team members to buy into your product.

netbeans takes [cvs/cvsroot] then the login/passwd then if successful asks for the project path [project/dev]

When eclipse asks [cvs/cvsroot/project/dev] the login fails

#197565 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

When eclipse asks [cvs/cvsroot/project/dev] the login fails

This is what I don’t understand. When configuring a repository, you should be able to point to the actual root of the CVS tree with something like cvs/cvsroot to connect to the server. Once connected, you should then be able to checkout the projects by expanding the CVSROOT element to pull the projects you want. Eclipse’s CVS implementation is fully compliant, it should just be a difference in configuration to get hooked up properly.

Has anyone else encountered any problems like this?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Help system stopped functioning

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in