facebook

How to actually install the trial of MyEclipse 4 Spring?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Spring Development
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dbudworth

I’ve been sitting at the “Checking for Pulse Updates” windows popup looking thing (which is odd from my linux box) for the last 45 min(or so).

no idea if it’s hung, or there’s a firewall issue, or what.

What exactly is it doing? I tried to switch from Chrome to Firefox to do the download and the progress meter is at the exact same spot (~60%)… so I’m a little lost as to what’s happening.

is there a way to just download the thing and use the built in auto-updater to get current?

#307403 Reply

neyde

@dbudworth wrote:

I’ve been sitting at the “Checking for Pulse Updates” windows popup looking thing (which is odd from my linux box) for the last 45 min(or so).

no idea if it’s hung, or there’s a firewall issue, or what.

What exactly is it doing? I tried to switch from Chrome to Firefox to do the download and the progress meter is at the exact same spot (~60%)… so I’m a little lost as to what’s happening.

is there a way to just download the thing and use the built in auto-updater to get current?

MyEclipse for Spring can be installed from Pulse or a web installer. Here’s a brief description of each.

Pulse – In Pulse there’s a blueprint for MyEclipse for Spring 8.5 in both the IDE and Popular Software categories. You can install an instance of the ME4S blueprint by right-clicking on the blueprint. For most people this is the ideal option because you can tailor the installation to the things that are most relevant to you, and you can exclude the features you aren’t interested in. Furthermore if you have more multiple installations on your workstation, the common components/plugins only need to be downloaded once.

Web Installer – This option is for non Pulse users. This will install a minimal version of Pulse, and you will have less customization options. You can only select from two profiles: “All” or “Essentials”. In order to use this option you must have a Java enabled browser.

From your description, it looks like you may not have a Java enabled browser. The fact that you are seeing an odd Windows popup means that it could be the image on the html page rather than the actual installer. You should have gotten a proper pop-up window with an installer to guide you through the install process.

Do you know if either of your browsers is Java enabled? You can verify using this URL:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Please also let us know what flavor of Linux you are using.

#307404 Reply

dbudworth

This is 64 bit ubuntu (karmic) with both chrome and firefox. neither of which support applets
    (verified by your page)

i also tried from my mac (only tried chrome, which also doesn’t do applets). Probably would be good to make that pulse installer detect applets and say something if one doesn’t have support for it.

Looking for the “blueprint” now… I assume the “MyEclipse Configuration Center” is pulse?

there’s 2 tabs that have features listed… “Dashboard” and “Software”
    “dashboard” has two spring things that aren’t installed, “SpringIDE AJDT, and “SpringIDE Mylin”. Guessing neither of these are what you are referring to.

there’s also a Tips and Tricks side bar that talks about an early access version, but clicking on the link just pops up firefox pointing at a video that explains how to install it in an older version of myeclipse (ie: it refers to something that probably came before MyEclipse Configuration Center)

so, now I’m thinking that Pulse is something totally different. Looking at installed software, it says I have Pulse installed… but not sure what/how to actually use it. (or if i already am)

all the video tutorials online are about the older version of myeclipse, so the menu items and screens look totally different.

Any chance you can explain what to do from MyEclipse Enterprise (demo)? as in, from start, click on what to get the spring stuff added?

[/quote]

#307405 Reply

dbudworth

sorry, just realized that pulse is a totally separate download / install.

found it and am installing myeclipse for spring now

sorry for the confusion… new to the my eclipse world (been an Intellij Idea user for the last 10 years), so I didn’t know what pulse actually was

#307407 Reply

neyde

@dbudworth wrote:

i also tried from my mac (only tried chrome, which also doesn’t do applets). Probably would be good to make that pulse installer detect applets and say something if one doesn’t have support for it.

I agree. We’ll look into that.

@dbudworth wrote:

sorry, just realized that pulse is a totally separate download / install.

found it and am installing myeclipse for spring now

sorry for the confusion… new to the my eclipse world (been an Intellij Idea user for the last 10 years), so I didn’t know what pulse actually was

No apologies necessary….we clearly have some work to do on communicating installation. 🙂 I’m glad you are making progress though. I think I’ll put together a screencast focussed on installation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: How to actually install the trial of MyEclipse 4 Spring?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in