facebook

HOW TO: Deploy MobiOne WebApp To Your Web Server

1. MobiOne Archive
  2.  > 
  3. Examples, HOW-TOs
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

support-michael
    Keymaster

Deploy MobiOne WebApp To Your Web Server

If you wish to deploy your mobione webapp to a website of your choice the process is very simple:

Step-1: GENERATE web version of your mobile app design (HTML, JS, CSS)
    Step-1a: if you have been using the Design Center’s Run-in-Test-Center action, then the webapp content for your mobile app has already been exported and can be found in a subdirectory of your main design file. For example if you have a design file: c:/designs/mydesign.mobi then look for the subdirectory c:/designs/mydesign_www/

Step-1b: You can explicitly generate HTML by using the Export as HTML action from the toolbar. The HTML Export Wizard will allow you to provide a custom directory into which the HTML will be generated

Step-2: UPLOAD Web Content to Your Web Server
    Using the FTP or SCP upload tool of your choice, upload the exported HTML resources to your server

Step-3: Ensure Web Server is configured to serve HTML5 manifest files correctly
    If your webapp needs to perform in offline mode, i.e., AppCache enabled, then your web server must return the manifest file created by MobiOne with the mime-type text/cache-manifest. There are many searchable resources that describe how to configure your server, e.g., http://www.html5rocks.com/tutorials/appcache/beginner/

Wayne
    Genuitec Mobile Team

#317147 Reply

mrsam

Very Useful Info Wayne. Thank you.

#322537 Reply

johnboy

This message has not been recovered.

#322876 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

This message has not been recovered.

#326656 Reply

JohnJake2

Hello Support (Wayne, Octavio).

Can you please provide a short example about how this exactly works. First of all I do not have a directory named <project>_export. And I think, I mixed up parts of the resources in my first tries.

If I have the following structure
    – main.mobi
    – sub1.mobi
    – sub2.mobi

and main.mobi contains links/buttons in a button bar to sub1.mobi and sub2.mobi.

I have the following structure in the file system

Demo
    -main.mobi
    -sub1.mobi
    -sub2.mobi
    +main-www
    +sub1-www
    +sub2-www

I exported all three “forms” in a new directory on my desktop named “test”. There are three folders in there: main-www, sub1-www, sub2-www and that means that their subdirectires (e. g. res) exist 3 times. I did so since I assumed that this is “keeping the same” structure of your last hint in this thread. I put this test folder completely to my web server using ftp.

But it didn’t work. Linking to the html page in my main-www directory and calling this with an iPhone leads to the correct page, but the button bar at the bottom is not visible; it seems it is hidden by the safari bar. If you manage it (it takes several times) to scroll a bit, then you see the part where the button bar ought to be. But this area is blank and dead. Just white, no images, not buttons, no function. Therefore I cannot link to the sub pages.

What did I do wrong??

Thx in advance.
    JohnJake2

#326674 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

@JohnJake2

Read the 1st few paragraphs of this doc that I just updated:
    http://www.genuitec.com/support-genuitec/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1618&p=3028#p3028

The key mods to that doc are:
    1) app code is generated into main_www/
    – _export is the old dir naming model which is obsolete now and replaced with _www

2) Clarified that ALL MobiOne apps have only 1 _www folder and it should be named after the 1st screen of your application, e.g., main.mobi. That is, in the Visual Designer you use either Run in Test Center or Project>Generate Application on the startup screen of your app to generate ALL of the app’s code.

The App generator does not generate useful individual screen code. Delete all other _www directories (sub1_www/ sub2_www/) as these were generated by the Design Center when you used Run in Test Center for an intermediate screen of your app. Mobione does not support generating code for individual screens only the startup/main screen. Thus these other _www dirs are transient and have no usefulness in your app. In the next major release (mobione 3.0) you will never see these transient www dirs. But for now just know that they are tmp working dirs and delete them asap.

#326796 Reply

JohnJake2

Hi Wayne.

Sorry for bothering you again with this topic. But I am still experiencing problems with this.
    First of all, I updated to MobiOne 2.0 and “restructured” the folder structure. Everything still works fine in the Test Center.

But when uploading the complete content of my (one and single) “main-www” folder via FTP to the server, calling it with the iPhone just leads to an empty (white) page without any errors or messages.
    What am I missing?

Furthermore I found these steps in your text above:

Step-1a: if you have been using the Design Center’s Run-in-Test-Center action, then the webapp content for your mobile app has already been exported and can be found in a subdirectory of your main design file. For example if you have a design file: c:/designs/mydesign.mobi then look for the subdirectory c:/designs/mydesign_www/

Step-1b: You can explicitly generate HTML by using the Export as HTML action from the toolbar. The HTML Export Wizard will allow you to provide a custom directory into which the HTML will be generated

In my case, I have these differences:
    Step-1a: if you have been using the Design Center’s Run-in-Test-Center action, then the webapp content for your mobile app has already been exported and can be found in a subdirectory of your main design file. For example if you have a design file: c:\designs\mydesign.mobi then look for the subdirectory c:\designs\mydesignwww/ (slashes and underscore).

This italic part is invalid in my eyes since I do not have the “Export as HTML” function in any toolbar anymore.

So, maybe taking the complete part of the main-www directory was not correct?! – In any case, I am calling my webpage within the iPhones’s safari like this:

http://www.mydomain.tld/main-www/main.html (haven’t renamed the main-www folder yet).

Is this the correct way?
    Thx for your feedback.

JohnJake2

#327128 Reply

Hi JohnJake2,

>But when uploading the complete content of my (one and single) “main-www” folder via FTP to the server, calling it with the iPhone just leads to an empty (white) page without any errors or messages.
    Does this happen only on iPhone? could you share details about device model and device OS version?
    Also, please try open your webapp in Test Center or a webkit base browser as Google Chrome.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: HOW TO: Deploy MobiOne WebApp To Your Web Server

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in