facebook

How to enable content assist without typing CTRL-SPACE?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mork
    Participant

Coming from Intellij, one of its best features (and the only one I miss so far) is that the content assist is automatic as soon as you type. And, it’s very complete.

I found one StackOverflow topic, here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6912169/eclipse-enable-autocomplete-content-assist

But it doesn’t seem to be the same in MyEclipse.

Can you describe how to enable content-assist … as you type? (just typing, no CTRL-SPACE)

Your Internet link text seems to imply content-assist as you type, but perhaps I need to enable it somehow?

Thanks in advance,

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Mork.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #608060 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Mork,

The line said Content assist, as-you-type validation, syntax highlighting …, as-you-type applies to the validation, not the content assist.

Having said that, the stack overflow suggestion does work for Java in MyEclipse, so if that’s what you were looking for, going to Window > Preferences > Java > Editor > Content Assist and changing the Auto activation triggers for Java to @abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ._ will do it for you. Since the Java support in Eclipse isn’t really designed to activate on any key press, you might find some invalid / inefficient suggestions being presented at times, do let us know how this works for you.

If you were looking for this support in other file types, for example, JavaScript, HTML or TypeScript, we do have much better support for as-you-type content assist, available if you install CodeMix (free for MyEclipse Pro and higher customers).

Do let us know what editors you’d like to see this in and we’ll be able to assist further.

#608061 Reply

Mork
    Participant

Thanks Brian! 🙂

Yes, it was that the field for entering “auto activation triggers” was so small, I missed it and assumed MyEclipse had a different method. Plus, the StackOverflow posting was kind of old.

This approach seems to work OK. I’m just not used to having to type CTRL-SPACE anymore.

Thanks very much,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: How to enable content assist without typing CTRL-SPACE?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in