facebook

I don’t understand why maven4myeclipse? Why not m2ecliipse?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Maven for MyEclipse (Maven4MyEclipse)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

nmatrix9

I’ve was using maven4myeclipse because I was following a book on maven. Until I reached a chapter on multi-module maven projects, after countless hours and then days trying to get the example chapter to work in maven4myeclipse I went online seeing if anyone else encountered similar problems. Well I’ve saw on google that someone in the myeclipse forums actually “removed maven4myeclipse” (http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-21172-highlight-m2eclipse.html) and instead installed m2eclipse. Curious I followed those same steps and managed to install m2eclipse without any obvious problems.

I was surprised to see that not only did m2eclipse have everything that maven4eclipse had but it seemed much, much, much more capable of doing big multi-module enterprise applications minus the frustration that maven4eclipse gave. Also m2eclipse truly followed the “convention over configuration” philosophy as I could literally drag and drop ANY pom files from any location into a m2eclipse project and have it working immediately. As opposed to maven4myeclipses non-standard propietary project meta information which is very myeclipse centric and non-portable for maven projects.

I’m very disappointed in the maven4myeclipse plugin and I’ll recommend to anyone reading this post that if they want a excellent maven plugin for their projects, I would strongly recommend that they uninstall maven4myeclipse and instead install m2eclipse, I’m sure that it’ll be compatible with your existing maven projects with a minimum amount of disruption.

#288822 Reply

Riyad Kalla

nmatrix9,

Sorry we ran into such a hairy time working with Maven4MyEclipse for the first time, that was definitely not our intention and was just the result of us not scoping the first-pass at integrated Maven support correctly.

Maven support has been a long time coming and has been a big integration task on our end (understanding Maven dependencies as deployable libraries, attaching sources, debugging lookup, library management, mavenized-capabilities management, etc. etc.) all of these changes in MyEclipse were required to integrate the two technologies together.

To keep the first pass (which was released in 6.5) manageable we scoped it down to new-projects-only and making sure all work flows continued to work and shipped that out, as soon as that dropped quite a few users already working with m2eclipse projects ran into a brick wall, essentially: “Why isn’t this working in 6.5?!”, that was our mistake.

All of this functionality is getting expanded and added in MyEclipse 7.0 (most likely first visible in 7.0M2 coming at the end of this month) and we are also allowing users to unlock the m2eclipse interface as well for more advanced users, so hopefully it should remove the barriers to entry for everyone having problems.

NOTE: Ripping a core part of the IDE out, per your suggestion, will leave MyEclipse in an unsupported/untested state… we really wouldn’t recommend it. There are things like the new project wizards that make no attempt to work if the core Genutiec plugins for Maven are missing, so I really can’t speak to that being a good solution, for folks that need m2eclipse support *right now* before we wrap up 7.0M2, we would recommend staying on 6.0.1+m2eclipse for now to keep things nice and stable and supported.

Of course you are still welcome to rip out the plugins, I just wanted to preface that with a “please be careful” note if you are doing so.

#308815 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

To close out this thread, MyEclipse 8.x includes the latest version of m2eclipse for its Maven support. On top of m2eclipse we provide extensions (Maven4MyEclipse) that makes Maven work seamlessly with MyEclipse projects, but the core m2eclipse functionality is unchanged. So, if you want Maven support, we’ve got it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: I don’t understand why maven4myeclipse? Why not m2ecliipse?

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in