facebook

I want to make a ‘partial ER diagram’

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

wseubert

I am using the latest and greatest (3.8.3) and I want to create an ER diagram that only includes some of the tables, not all of them.

I tried to create a new ER and delete the stuff I don’t want to show but I’m not allowed to do that.

It doesn’t appear that doing this is supported.

Is there a way to do this that I missed?

Thanks
    Wally

#222719 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I am checking on this for you…

#222722 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Wally,
    Currently we don’t support editing or trimming down the diagram but you can collapse tables you don’t want to see the details of so they become single lines. We will evaluate the addition of this functionality as we make the ERD designer more robust.

#222729 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Wally,

This feature should make it to our next release. 🙂

As a quick workaround – you can edit the mer file. Be advised, do this at your own risk – we definitely do not encourage manual editing of this file.

Open the mer file in a text editor or use the MyEclipse XML Editor.
    The mer file is a simple xml file, you can see all Table detail listed out in Table Element nodes. Simply remove the nodes you don’t want.

Then save & close the file. Reopen in the ER Designer.

eg. Say you don’t want table “pktest”
    Locate <Table name=”pktest”> in the mer file and delete everthing from that Element to the first </Table> following that element – inclusive.

Note: if you View > Refresh Diagrams – all the tables will reappear in the diagram.

You may refresh tables selectively by right clicking on a Table and choosing Refresh Table from the context menu.

Please make a backup of your mer file before trying this,

Hope this helps,

Brian.

#222842 Reply

wseubert

Sounds easy enough. Thanks…

#226218 Reply

amesclar

when removing table entries in the .mer file, do you also need to remove the related relationship entries

please add my vote for allowing the user to select tables from which to generate the erd diagram versus always generating it from all tables in the schema

our schema has 100+ tables of which <10 are key and candidates for an erd diagram. The others are lookup/status/audit tables that are part of the schema but would little understanding when added to an erd diagram

#229633 Reply

OPRD

Since I don’t see this in the 4.0M1 release…

Add my vote for this as well, I have many situations where I only want to do partial schemas. Should allow ER designer to pick certain tables at design creation and allow for delete of tables once .mer file is built.

#233251 Reply

neilstevens

I need a cheap ER Diagramer, I am Evaluating My Eclipse and will be buying several subscriptions if it’s OK.
    I may put up with manual editing of the file(haven’t tried it yet), if the feature is soon to follow, so what is the situation ?
    (I can’t generate a jpeg ‘cos I get Out of Heap errors too)

#233260 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This is still on our todo list but likely won’t make 4.0, there is simply too much work still left to be done.

#254226 Reply

molbrich

Hi,

whats the state of this feature please.
    More than one year passed.

Im really searching for that feature.

Thanks
    Markus

#254228 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Guys, this was released as part of the 5.0 milestone release and already available in 5.0M1. If you wait a few days, you can get 5.0M2.

To summarize the features,

1) You can select the tables you want added to your diagram through a wizard at creation and during refreshes
    2) Tables can be deleted from your diagram, by simply selecting the table and pressing “del”
    3) Tables can be dropped into your diagram from the DB Browser view (drag from DB Browser, drop in to ER Designer), provided you drop them from the same schema as the diagram

Have a look at 5.0M1’s N&N doc here: http://www.myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-80.html

We appreciate any feedback you have to offer on these features,
    Best,
    Brian.

#254231 Reply

molbrich

Thanks a lot,

but having this answer here is just the missing solution at the end of the thread
    and another useful link and hint for all of those who found this thread
    while searching the web for “partial” +”ER-Diagram” +”eclipse”.

thanks for your work
    Markus

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: I want to make a ‘partial ER diagram’

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in