facebook

Initial coloring of JSP taglib keywords wrong opening jsp

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Erik Reuter

When creating and editing a JSP file for the first time, using custom taglibs etc. all my tags are correctly rendered blue (can’t remember if this is the default).

When I later come back and open the JSP file to continue my work, all the taglib keywords are initially green (like normal HTML). When I begin inserting lines etc. the taglibs slowly regain their correct coloring.

I can see that build-in jsp: directives are correctly colored when opening an existing file.

The coloring of the taglib keywords should be correct the first time I open the editor.

Regards
    Erik Reuter

– System Setup ——————————-
    Operating System and version: Fedore Core 1, kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
    Eclipse version: 3.0M8
    Eclipse build id: 200403261517
    Fresh Eclipse install (y/n): y (but transferred workspace)
    If not, was it upgraded to its current version using the update manager? no
    MyEclipse version: 3.7.2
    Eclipse JDK version: Sun 1.4.2_04
    Application Server JDK version: Sun 1.4.2_04
    Are there any exceptions in the Eclipse log file? no

#206159 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Erik,

In order to color a JSP file properly, we need to parse all the custom taglibs that are available and then scan the source for them. Since this might be time-consuming in a project with a lot of taglibs, we do this parsing work in the background. As a result, when you open your file you might see it initially colored as the ‘default’, until we can finish the parsing and scanning and determine where all the tags are. Does this seem like what you’re seeing? It really shouldn’t be related to the first edit at all, it’s simply a matter of waiting for the parsing to finish.

#206190 Reply

Sean Dynan

Scott

I have also experienced similar behaviour in the ME JSP editor ever since 3.0M7. When I open a JSP file the syntax highlighting on view is the simple HTML highlighting. I have to locate the caret to the somewhere near the top of the file and hit the spacebar. That simple event causes all the tags’ correct syntax highlighting to ripple down through the JSP. No custom taglibs: just JSTL + Struts.

My other problem with the JSP editor is that my color prefs aren’t being saved between restarts of Eclipse (see my other post for details.

Sean

#206378 Reply

Erik Reuter

Scott

The JSP page isn’t updated as you say it should after a little while, it behaves the way that seandynan describes with the rippling effect when I edit the page. This means that wherever I place the cursor and starts editing, the tags below the editing point are getting the right colors, but the tags above keeps the initial coloring.

Maybe the refresh of the editor is missing/not working properly?

#206379 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hey guys this is my 2cents, I believe this is an Eclipse 3.0 thing current BECAUSE in another thread we ran down the preferences not being saved and referred to no less than 6 bugs in the Eclipse bugtracker specifically related to random loss of preferences.

Also the coloring anomoly you are seeing used to be a bug in MyEclipse that I reported. It was fixed however in either RC1 or RC2 of the 2.7 release and I have never seen it return. So since there was an explicit fix put into the MyEclipse code base, and it broke between M7 and M8 release of Eclipse, I’m hoping that it might as easily clear up with M9.

I know this is guess-work right now, but the team is running at break-neck speeds for 2.8 and if they ran across this bug, I’m sure they’ve steam-rolled it since then 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Initial coloring of JSP taglib keywords wrong opening jsp

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in