facebook

Initial experieces with MyEclipse

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

bcholmes

So I just started playing with MyEclipse. I installed Tomcat and configured it in MyEclipse and hit a couple of interesting situations.

1. It took me a long time to get the right configuration for my web project. JSPs need to go in to the Web Root — but the Web Root isn’t the default selection in the creation wizard, and when I specify the web root, that gets added to web.xml file automatically (and needs to be manually removed).

2. The deploy window wouldn’t size itself properly for me so I couldn’t see the full title or any error messages that there might be. I tried to re-deploy to Tomcat and couldn’t figure out how. After enough playing, I finally figured out that I needed to undeploy and the re-deploy.

3. It took me a long time to figure out why my JSPs wouldn’t compile. Eventually I figured out that tools.jar needed to be on the CLASSPATH. I guess I kinda wonder if this should be a default setting. (It also took me a bit of time to figure out where to specify additions to the CLASSPATH, but I think I was being slow by that point).

All told, I think MyEclipse is great, and I look forward to more releases and updates. But I just wanted to document some of my areas of confusion; if they’re common areas of confusion, you might want to think about alternatives. Certainly none of the items I mention is a “bug” per se.

#196727 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. By knowing these points of confusion it allows us to address them going forward.

JSPs need to go in to the Web Root — but the Web Root isn’t the default selection in the creation wizard, and when I specify the web root, that gets added to web.xml file automatically (and needs to be manually removed).

Both true. For the web.xml problem, we’ll be removing the second page of the JSP creation wizard for JSP pages as it’s really only useful for servlets.

The deploy window wouldn’t size itself properly for me so I couldn’t see the full title or any error messages that there might be.

The deployment windows have been reworked for the GA release.

After enough playing, I finally figured out that I needed to undeploy and the re-deploy.

A “Redeploy” button has been added for convenience in the GA release.

Eventually I figured out that tools.jar needed to be on the CLASSPATH. I guess I kinda wonder if this should be a default setting.

tools.jar will be automatically added to the Tomcat classpath in the GA release.

Certainly none of the items I mention is a “bug” per se.

Well, they’re certainly usability issues at least and we not only want our product to be the most full-featured, but also the most usable and well-documented too. We’re still working hard on all fronts so thanks again for the feedback.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Initial experieces with MyEclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in