facebook

Installing 3.8 beta over 2.7 [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Wayne Kidd

When I installed 3.8 beta on a system that has 2 eclipse installations (2.1 and 3.0 GA) , I was able to install and specify the correct location of eclipse. My 3.0 system worked just fine. My 2.1 (eclipse) system stopped working (I could not launch at all). What did I do wrong and can I ever use the old eclipse (and myeclipse) again from that computer?

Wayne

#209266 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Wayne,
    Did you uninstall the previous version of MyEclipse before installing the new version? Running both should not be a problem at all as mnay of the support team has both installed side by side for helping people with support questions.

Can you navigate to your directory for your Eclipse 2.1 install and check in the links folder for a file? What is it called? What is its contents? Does the directory it point to exist?

#209280 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Wayne,

Also note that for Eclipse 2.x you’ll need an installation of 2.8 Beta 1 and for 3.0 you’ll need an installation of 3.8 beta 1. Just to be clear, you can’t install 3.8 beta 1 on both versions of Eclipse as it is only compatible with 3.0.

#209301 Reply

Wayne Kidd

The links folder contains com.genuitec.eclipse.MyEclipse.link, which contains path=C:\\Program Files\\MyEclipse (this is where my eclipse 3.8 was installed. I did not see a place to chose a different location for this. Of course, that is also where the 3.8 links points to. I see now what happened. How do I fix it. It looks like the install for 3.8B1 overwrote the 2.7 install. Thanks.

Wayne

#209302 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Wayne,
    What a lot of people do is like to have a directory like C:\MyEclipse, and then under it they will install each copy of MyEclipse that they want (e.g. C:\MyEclipse\2.8Beta1, C:\MyEclipse\3.8Beta1, etc.) and do the same with Eclipse (e.g. C:\Eclipse\2.1.3, C:\Eclipse\3.0, etc.) and then have the links file for each Eclipse point to the supported MyEclipse install.

So you might want to uninstall all of MyEclipse, and then download both the installers and re run them, pointing them at separate dirs like I mentioned above.

#209358 Reply

Wayne Kidd

Thanks. This worked just fine. You can close this one.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Installing 3.8 beta over 2.7 [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in