facebook

Installing Eclipse 2.1.1 on Windows XP Home

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

efriedrich

Where do I find instructions for installing Eclipse 2.1.1 on Windows? I’m running Windows XP Home?

#199839 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Well, I’m not sure there really are any instructions for Eclipse itself. It is an open source project you know. 😉

Here are the basics:
    1) Download and install a full JDK from Sun’s website (links are on our downloads page)
    2) Download and install the full Eclipse version you’d like to run ie. 2.1.1/2.1.2 (links are on our downloads page).
    3) Right-click on the eclipse zip file and select ‘Extract contents’ (I think, on XP) and then select a directory where you’d like for Eclipse to live.
    4) Double-click eclipse.exe to launch it.

Once you’ve done that, you’re ready for the MyEclipse installation.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#199910 Reply

efriedrich

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately Step 4 just gives me an error window with the title ‘Eclipse’ and the following message:

JVM terminated. Exit code=1
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe
    -cp D:\Eclipse211\eclipse\startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main
    -os win32
    -ws win32
    -arch x86
    -showsplash D:Eclipse211\eclipse\eclipse.exe -showsplash 600

#199911 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Did you perform step 1? During the installation I believe the Sun installer asks if you want this to be the ‘default Java’ for the installation or something. You should really say ‘yes’ to this. The problem you’re having is that the javaw.exe that’s distributed by windows is hopelessly old and won’t run Eclipse. The easiest way to correct the issue is to place the JDK’s bin directory on your PATH, in front of system32. Then when you run Eclipse, a compatible JDK will be found.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200003 Reply

efriedrich

Putting SDK1.4.1_02 as the first thing in the path did the trick. Eclipse 2.1.1 build 200306271545 is now up and running.

Thanks for your help.

Now on to installing MyEclipe …

Running EnterpriseWorkbenchInstaller_020604 gives me the following message window:

Heading: Win32 Error: 0 File: “” Line: 0
    Body text: The operation completed successfully.
    Symbol in the body: Red ball with white X

Looking in Eclipse, I find no mention of MyEclipse; not in the menu bar, not in the plug-in list, not in the Perspectives list.

I reran the MyEclipse installation with LAX_DEBUG=1. The ordered list of JVM’s shows that entries 1 2 are for java and javaw in the SDK1.4.1_02 that I put at the front of the path.

What’s the problem? Solution?

#200022 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I reran the MyEclipse installation with LAX_DEBUG=1. The ordered list of JVM’s shows that entries 1 2 are for java and javaw in the SDK1.4.1_02 that I put at the front of the path.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t mean that this is the JDK that will be used. Try setting LAX_VM=<path_to_jdk1.4.2_install>\bin\javaw.exe along with LAX_DEBUG=1. Then look at the debug output and make sure that the version of Java you specified is the one is selected.

One other thing to try is running with the LAX_VM set to an older JDK, like 1.4.1, just in case the latest builds of 1.4.2 created an incompatibility with Install Anywhere.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200094 Reply

efriedrich

The LAX_VM doesn’t seem to make a difference in the LAX_DEBUG window. I don’t see any mention of a selected JVM. Nothing seems to have changed.

LAX_VM does make a difference in the error message window – the line number is no longer 0:

LAX_VM
    ————–
    j2sdk1.4.0 Line: 5701678
    j2sdk1.4.1 Line: 17742
    j2sdk1.4.1_02 Line: 3014715

In each case, I also put the LAX_VM jdk at the start of the path.

Additional question: Is there any way that I can redirect the LAX_DEBUG output to a file?

#200123 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Additional question: Is there any way that I can redirect the LAX_DEBUG output to a file?

In the MyEclipse installation directory there should be a file called MyEclipse_Enterprise_Workbench_v2.6.4_InstallLog.log.

Is this created? Does it show which JVM is selected?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200310 Reply

efriedrich

There is no MyEclipse install directory and no MyEclipse…InstallLog.log file. The only evidence of MyEclipse I see are the following five directories
    com.genuitec.myeclipse.ast
    com.genuitec.myeclipse.core
    com.genuitec.myeclipse.enterprise
    com.genuitec.myeclipse.help
    com.genuitec.myeclipse.wdt
    in both
    D:\Eclipse211\eclipse\workspace
    and
    D:\Eclipse211\eclipse\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.projects

Keep in mind (per my Nov 13 posting) that during installation, all I see is the error window (and the LAX_DEBUG window). I don’t see any of the other windows that I would normally expect to see during an installation; e.g. ‘You are about to install…’, ‘Agree to licensing…’, ‘Install in directory ..’, etc.

#200311 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

There is no MyEclipse install directory and no MyEclipse…InstallLog.log file. The only evidence of MyEclipse I see are the following five directories
    com.genuitec.myeclipse.ast
    com.genuitec.myeclipse.core
    com.genuitec.myeclipse.enterprise
    com.genuitec.myeclipse.help
    com.genuitec.myeclipse.wdt
    in both
    D:\Eclipse211\eclipse\workspace

I’m a bit unclear on this point. If the installer is exiting immediately, how is it finding your Eclipse workspace directory? The additional reason that this is peculiar is that we don’t install anything in the Eclipse workspace directory at all. Any ideas?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200375 Reply

efriedrich

The only thing I can think of is cross contamination from a another install of MyEclipse. This install we’re discussing is on the D drive where the C drive holds an XP partition. This PC also has an NT partion which, when active, has access to the D drive. I tried installing MyEclipse on this NT C drive (not the D drive). (This NT installation of MyEclipse also seems to have problems, but different, but I need to examine it more closely to be sure.) This is the only thing that I can think of — but it really doesn’t make sense in light of your statement in the last note.

we don’t install anything in the Eclipse workspace directory at all.

Where do we go from here?

#200376 Reply

efriedrich

Something I should have added to my last note:

I deleted the Eclipse installation, reinstalled Eclipse, reran the 2.6.4 MyEclipse installation and got

1) The SAME installation problems: error window, no typical installation windows, no MyEclipse install directory.
    2) The Eclipse directory structure does NOT show the 5 MyEclipse folders.

#200386 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

This last one sounds like an old version of Java is being used to run the installer, or a corrupted installer download. To isolate it I’d suggest downloading a new copy of the installer and then doing this:

1) Open a command window and type ‘java -version’. What does it report? In this command window…
    2) Set the PATH environment variable to only contain a single entry that points to your JDK’s bin directory (1.3.1 or greater). ie. c:\java\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin
    3) Set the variables: LAX_DEBUG=1 and LAX_VM=c:\java\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin\javaw.exe
    4) CD to the directory containing the installer and execute it from this command line.

What happens?

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200407 Reply

efriedrich

1. java version 1.4.1
    Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1-b21)
    Java Hotspot Client VM (build 1.4.1-b21, mixed mode)
    2. Used c:\j2sdk1.4.1\bin
    3. Used LAX_DEBUG=c:\j2sdk1.4.1\bin\javaw.xe with LAX_DEBUG=1
    4. Ran the …20604 installer. No real change. The only change that I noticed is that the LAX_DEBUG window shows only one pair of java/javaw VMs being found in the path. It still shows lots more being found in the registry.

#200411 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Used LAX_DEBUG=c:\j2sdk1.4.1\bin\javaw.xe with LAX_DEBUG=1

I assume that’s a typo and you meant LAX_VM=c:\…

The only change that I noticed is that the LAX_DEBUG window shows only one pair of java/javaw VMs being found in the path. It still shows lots more being found in the registry.

Does it show which one is selected? Can you send us all of the output to support@genuitec.com? Normally, there’s an installation log generated into the directory you choose as the MyEclipse installation directory. However, if you’re not getting that far it may create one in the current directory or a temp. If nothing else, can you copy the output from the command window and paste it into an email? Also, if you’d run the ‘env’ command in the same command window and send the results of it too it would help a lot. Please be sure to include the URL of this thread so we can match it up and post back our findings.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Installing Eclipse 2.1.1 on Windows XP Home

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in