facebook

Issue Deploying Exploded EAR with Optional Packages

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

bbohl

I have an EAR project that contains both an ejb and web module. I also created another java project that I have configured as a dependent project for the ear (I followed the instructions at http://myeclipseide.com/enterpriseworkbench/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.genuitec.myeclipse.doc/html/quickstarts/earprojects/index.html).

When I deploy the application (exploded), the dependent project is packaged as a jar file in the root ear directory as expected. However, when I make I change to one of the files in the dependent project the jar file is not updated, but I can see the file created in the root ear directory as if the jar file itself was exploded.

Any ideas how to make my changes automatically be reflected in the deployment?

Thanks

Brian

Deploying to Weblogic 8.1 SP4

*** Date: Fri Nov 04 14:12:44 CST 2005

*** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1
    Java version=1.4.2_04

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 4.0.3 GA
    Build id: 20051025-4.0.3-GA

*** Eclipse details:
    Eclipse SDK

Version: 3.1.1
    Build id: M20050929-0840

Eclipse Platform

Eclipse RCP

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Eclipse Project SDK

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -launcher
    C:\Software\eclipse\eclipse.exe
    -name
    Eclipse
    -showsplash
    -exitdata
    bb4_58
    -vm
    c:\software\eclipse\j2sdk1.4.2_04\bin\javaw.exe

#240854 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

However, when I make I change to one of the files in the dependent project the jar file is not updated, but I can see the file created in the root ear directory as if the jar file itself was exploded.

That’s true. The problem with updating the Jar in the deployment would be that it would cause a full redeployment of the application and this can be a very time-consuming process as the jar would have to be recreated and the enterprise application reloaded by the server. As a result, we don’t force it automatically. What you’ll need to do after making changes to included jars is use the Redeploy option from the deployment manager dialog to force a redeployment when you’ve completed your changes.

Another way to handle it would be to use ‘Smart Deployment’ and merge the dependent classes into the deployments of the web and ejb projects that use the shared classes. In that mode, since a Jar isn’t created, any modified classes will be hotsync’d to the fully exploded deployments. Information on how to configure that is in the Working with Web Projects and EJB Projects quickstarts in the documentation section: http://myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-67.html

Note that these two options are mutually exclusive and what you’re doing now is really the correct way to deploy an enterprise application. The second option above is just a “debugging configuration” that might be useful if the dependent classes are changing a lot. If they only change occasionally, I’d stick with the Redeploy option.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Issue Deploying Exploded EAR with Optional Packages

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in