facebook

JSP debugging

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

chatterj

Hi,

I have a use case where I have many projects in my workspace, each of which delivers a piece of the eventual webapp. Each project contains some of the JSPs, some the Java code, some of the JARs. An overall Ant build system extracts metadata, compiles, organizes and deploys everything to the webapp directory.

I have been using remote (external) debugging to attach to Tomcat-4.1.x and am able to debug Java just fine. I was looking forward to debugging JSPs with MyEclipse, but it doesn’t really work for this use case. Hoping to say “yet” :-).

It would be nice, if MyEclipse allowed the definition of multiple external resource (pieces of the webapp context root) dirs, whether they are parts of other projects in the workspace or not. Also, in addition to using JARS from WEB-INF/lib, JspCC should be able to use JARs/classes exported by any project added to the webapp project’s build path (using Eclipse’s standard project properties dialog).

Hope this will make it in sometime in the not too distant future!

Thanks,
    Shash

#196577 Reply

chatterj

Another item in my wishlist…

Will it be possible to debug JSPs without any embedded Java, i.e. everything is done using tags? For instance, can we not put a breakpoint in a iterator tag and single-step through the JSP statements? Netbeans (Forte) at one point had a feature where you could switch between the JSP view and the generated-servlet view at will using a hotkey and be single-stepping in either window…..that would be very nice to have.

Thanks,
    Shash

#196607 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

Flexible project structure and deployment models have received a lot of internal discussion lately. What I can say is that the GA release is our top priority. Our philosophy is “get it working, get it working right, then make it flexible”. Presently we are in the “get it working right” phase.

Michael
    MyEclipse Development Team

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: JSP debugging

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in