facebook

JSP Editor soooo slow under Eclipse 3 M4

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

qasim

The JSP Editor is so slow under this release on Linux.

#199832 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

I assume by “slow” you mean opening a JSP Editor?

There are several known performance issues with the 2.6.3/3.6.3 JSP Editors that have been addressed and will be released very shortly as a service upgrade (today or tomorrow, Fri). One of the enhancements is improved startup speed, especially in the case where taglibs are involved.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

#199842 Reply

My JSP editing is also slow. I noticed that it is slow during different parts of the jsp file. For example the speed is slow when in <script> block and fast in a comment block.

Anthony Sangha

#199843 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

I’m curious are your script definitions of the following form or other?

<script language=”Javascript”>
    <!–

–>
    </script>

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

#199878 Reply

No Operation

just my 2c:

It is mandatory to apply those comments, to keep a valid html syntax. Using a script tag does not change the document type from html to something else.

In addition – to keep a valid javascript syntax, single line comments must be added.

result looks like:

<script language=”Javascript”>
    //<!–

//–>
    </script>

NOP

#199951 Reply

my script definitions are <script> </script>

#199956 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

You need to be sure to comment them appropriately as suggested by NOP so they are both Javascript and HTML conformant. Once you do this, the speed of the editor should increase substantially since it won’t have to try to figure out whats going on in a technically malformed area.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200028 Reply

Ansorg

Sorry but I do not agree: this “HTML comments in Javascript blocks” crap is not necessary for a technically corect HTML and not correct Javascript syntax. HTML Comments do not belong in Javascript. We all should know, how comments in Javascript should look like.

This stuf only got introduced to hide the script contents from browsers that do not understand Javascript at all. That’s the only reason fir this and it’s no longer valid since a few years now.

why is the jsp editor dealing with Javascirpt blocks at all? Thea are not JSP and not HTML after all?

curious,
    Jens

#200035 Reply

kaig1969

@Ansorg wrote:

Sorry but I do not agree: this “HTML comments in Javascript blocks” crap is not necessary for a technically corect HTML and not correct Javascript syntax. HTML Comments do not belong in Javascript. We all should know, how comments in Javascript should look like.

Well, if you write

<script …>
    if (a<b) alert(‘foo’);
    </script>

then the browser will see <b and try to interpret it as a tag. But it’s not.

That’s why people suggest the comments. Of course, you can also write “if (a < b) alert(‘foo’);”, but that’s less readable.

#200065 Reply

support-michael
    Keymaster

We will soon undertake a major restructuring of the JSP/HTML editor to improve its ability to address the zillions of concerns that exist in such a tool as well as prepare for support of J2EE 1.4 and Java Server Faces. For the short term use NOP’s suggestion to avoid error highlighting problems.

Michael
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: JSP Editor soooo slow under Eclipse 3 M4

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in