facebook

JSP support question

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Comments
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jameshr

A frustration I’ve had with JBossIDE is lack of JSP support. In a nutshell, does your JSP support include:

– interactive debug (ie breakpoint right on JSP source lines, etc)
    – full syntax support
    – full refactoring support (for example, if i’m editing a Java class like HelloWorld.java and decide to refactor a method name across the entire project will you refactor JSPs that reference HelloWorld also to the new method name?).

also, are there any limitations with hot-deploy of Html, JSP, Servlet, EJBs, and other types of Java classes? are there any other limitations when using JBoss with your product?

#206543 Reply

Riyad Kalla

– interactive debug (ie breakpoint right on JSP source lines, etc)

Yes, but you need to be using JDK 1.4+ and an application server that supports JSR45 (i.e. Tomcat 5)

– full syntax support

Our editor supports syntax highlighting for html, jsp, taglibs and scriptlets. It also provides autocomplete for html, jsp, taglibs and scriplets. You should find it quite helpful if you have been programming without this functionality.

– full refactoring support (for example, if i’m editing a Java class like HelloWorld.java and decide to refactor a method name across the entire project will you refactor JSPs that reference HelloWorld also to the new method name?).

No we don’t currently support refactoring of this nature and rely on the Eclipse refactoring.

also, are there any limitations with hot-deploy of Html, JSP, Servlet, EJBs, and other types of Java classes?

Nope, just make sure that you have the Workbench option of “Perform build automatically on resource modification”, this allows MyEclipse to detect/deploy changes as you make them. Sometimes hotdeploy will fail during development and you just need to restart the app server. This is a message sent to us from the app server via the remote debugger, so if you get this message its from the app server saying “Hey, you are changing too much, restart me”.

Also on Windows occasionally redeploying an entire app will fail while the app server is running due to file locks. On linux you don’t have this problem because of the difference in how the filesystems are implemented.

are there any other limitations when using JBoss with your product?

Nope, most of our uses are using JBoss to develop with. We also provide very good XDoclet support (autocomplete, script generation, autobuilding, etc.) which will make you feel more at home comming from JBossIDE.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: JSP support question

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in