facebook

JSP validation [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Steve Bang

In IntelliJ, there is an optional setting to enable JSP validation (off by default). Unexplicably, when JSP validation is enabled in IntelliJ, many JSP errors appear that don’t when this setting is disabled. Another JSP developer I know warned me to be sure to keep that setting disabled, since it “generated false errors.” I haven’t resolved why this would be the case, but only know that when JSP validation is off in IntelliJ, everything compiles great and works as expected. I’m seeing lots of errors in 3.7RC2 that don’t seem to be valid, and just wonder if it’s me (a configuration error) or something like what’s happening in IntelliJ. Is there an equivalent setting in MyEclipse that I can turn off (if it’s on), to test my hypothesis?

Steve

#204038 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Steve,
    You can turn off JSP validation (Window>Preferences>MyEclipse>Editors>JSP/HTML Editor>”Don’t Compile JSPs”

Currently though the validation that is done on the JSP pages is done by a JSP compiler, so its pretty safe to say that if the compiler complains, there is something wrong with the JSP page. What problems are you seeing in particular? Do you have a JSP page you can give us as an example to try?

#204062 Reply

Steve Bang

I guess I’m dealing with two issues here. The first is a configuration issue probably (I’ll add a new topic for this). You mention that I can turn off JSP validation by selecting the Don’t Compile JSPs option. In IntelliJ, it seems that they distinguish between compiling and JSP validation. Thus, by default, a new Web app doesn’t have JSP validation enabled. You have to explicitly enable it, then it uses Jasper (Tomcat’s JSP compiler) to validate. I guess what it’s really doing is to compile the page, but they call it JSP validation. Hmmm….I’ll have to look into trying to understanding why they do this. Anyway, I’ll consider this issue closed (for now), but will ask the web app config question separately.

#204063 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ok thanks for closing the loop on this thread.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: JSP validation [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in