facebook

Linux EAR Deployment Issues

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Jason Price

I am getting a weird problem generating ears using myeclipse on linux (Ubuntu 5.10).
    I have Ubuntu and Win XP dual booting on my pc, most of the orginal development work was done on xp. However, recently we have a need for some development to work on Linux (besides I like working on linux, seems more techie 8)).

All of the code is in a cvs server so I can just commit from xp and boot into linux then pull down the changes and vice-versa.
    Everything works with no problems developing on the linux side, the only issue I have is when I use myeclipse to create the EAR and then try to deploy that EAR on one of the live servers (it works running jboss using myeclipse locally).
    The EAR deploys OK but when a client tries to use the ejbs we get errors reporting various missing classes, almost always the missing class (and/or methods) are ones that have recently changed. If I then boot into xp pull down the exact same code and create the ear and delpoy it (to the same server) everything works as it should!

The EAR creation and EJB settings are exactley the same on both Linux and XP.
    I am using MyEclipse 4.1 GA on both linux and xp along with eclipse 3.1.1.

The only thing I can think of is maybe a character encoding issue?
    or possibly a bug in the ear generation of myeclipse under linux?

Its not a major issue as I can reboot and create the ear in xp; its just a pain to have to keep rebooting…

anyone had anything similar?

#246760 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hmm first can you check your log file for any indicators of a failed deployment? Maybe a file/writing/permission exception? (<workspace dir>\.metadata\.log)

#246763 Reply

Haris Peco

FunkyHippy ,

It’s hard that is encoding problem – Java handle encoding good
    It’s probably jdk version problem or you use any Windows specific classes – it’s possible that your win jdk have
    any jars in ext directory (JVM load them automatic on start)
    Send us log as Rkalla says, for further investigation

Best

#247061 Reply

Jason Price

Unfortunately my linux hardrive died just after posting this, so I can’t give you any logs at the moment.
    I have several deadlines fast apporaching so I won’t get around to reinstalling linux for a while. As soon as I manage to get linux installed and running I see if I still get it.

BTW there is no extra lib in java ext just standard jdk 1.5.

I’ll keep you posted…

#248386 Reply

zambizzi

I had a lot of problems when I attempted to use Ubuntu and Java…things I had never seen before…Hibernate exceptions out of the blue, permissions problems…it was a wreck. As soon as I went back to Gentoo (or Windows at work) everything was flawless again.

I’m not saying it’s Ubuntu at fault…just relaying the issues I had w/ it.

You should be able to swap projects/files between linux & windows just fine…I do it all the time. In fact, now that I’m doing EJB3 development, I often develop on my Gentoo workstation at home using Postgresql. I then take my stuff to work and use XP and swap out MSSQL as my database….have never had a problem there.

#248387 Reply

Haris Peco

zambizzi,

You use java from ubuntu , probably.It isn’t compatible with eclipse and MyEclipse
    Download java from SUN site and set JAVA_HOME and PATH (or use eclipse -vm option)

Best

#248400 Reply

zambizzi

Actually no, I had installed it manually and it gave me all sorts of problems. I don’t use Ubuntu anyhow…I was just experimenting w/ it to see what all the buzz was about…I couldn’t wait to get back to Gentoo! 😉

I much prefer using portage + java-config in Gentoo to manage my JDK.

#248412 Reply

Greg

@zambizzi wrote:

Actually no, I had installed it manually and it gave me all sorts of problems. I don’t use Ubuntu anyhow…I was just experimenting w/ it to see what all the buzz was about…I couldn’t wait to get back to Gentoo! 😉

I much prefer using portage + java-config in Gentoo to manage my JDK.

Thats interesting. I have used Gentoo in the past and now it seems the Ubuntu has stormed in and stolen alot of Gentoo’s thunder. If I ever get around to building another linux box, I will probably try Ubuntu and see how it compares to Gentoo.

#248419 Reply

Jason Price

I still haven’t gotten around to reinstalling Linux yet, I’m having to use XP for a couple of projects that rely on third party dlls…
    However a colleague of my uses Ubuntu for all of his daily work and he checked this porject out of cvs and its worked flawlessly for him!

It must have been something wierd with my setup. It would still be interesting to know what happend though.

I will resintall linux in the near future if it happens again I updated this post.

As regards Ubuntu I was an avid gentoo user, however after using ubuntu and apt-get I must admit to being converted. Whilst I know that code compiled specifically for my processor willl be faster, I can’t actually tell any difference using my machine in day to day use. Waiting for a system compile, having to remember to set the correct use tags and the looong install was also the bane of my gentoo expierence (although I have found VLOS since which is a quick of getting gentoo on a box).

I still prefer the idea of gentoo just not the practicality. Just MHO…

#248422 Reply

Haris Peco

FunkyHippy,

try next from command prompt and send us output

java -version

and

which java

Thanks

ps.
    I use ubuntu (and RedHat) and eclipse and MyEclipse work great

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Linux EAR Deployment Issues

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in