facebook

Logging not working

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. WebSphere Development
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

We are evaluating MyEclipseBlue to see if it is a good replacement for RAD. A developer has RAD6 installed on his box and then also installed MyEclipseBlue. He pointed MyEclipseBlue at the RAD6 WebSphere 6.0 Runtime.

The developer tested MyEclipseBlue and everything worked perfect. However, because this was just a proof of concept for us, he went back to RAD6 to do his normal development work.

What he is finding is that all Logging is not going through the console on RAD6 anymore, including his Log4j logging. He made no modification to his actual project, and the project itself does work, with the exception of the logging itself.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have affected our logging in RAD6?

#284752 Reply

Loyal Water

Are there any error messages related to log4j that pop up in the console when you run the project?

#284767 Reply

No, there is absolutely no messages coming to the console at all. The only “change” is that we used MyEclipseBlue on the runtime. The application residing under RAD6 was not modified at all.

#284787 Reply

jx2dad

I encountered the same problem. Additionally, on my local Websphere install, I do not see the System.out or System.err files being generated on the file system any more. If I start WAS through MyEclipse, then I can see the server log in MyEclipse, but the log files are not being written to the drive as they usually are.

It seems like Websphere is sending the logs to MyEclipse, but nowhere else.

#284980 Reply

jx2dad

As an update, I took a fresh Websphere server profile and verified that it logged correctly to the file system. I then configured MyEclipse Blue 6.5 M1 to use that server profile, and afterwards MyEclipse is the only place the log shows up. So the problem still exists in 6.5.

#284992 Reply

mksiddique

The log settings can be changed through websphere application server web interface.
    Run WAS from MyEclipse, go to web admin console, login with id if the security is enabled, Goto Application Server->Server->select the server (server1), scroll down the page and on right side under Troubleshoting click on Tracing and Logging, then JVM logs and here you can change to File name setting from console to file name with full path.

Good Luck,
    Kashif

#284998 Reply

Greg

Hello guys,

When you configure a server in MyEclipse Blue, it will reconfigure the server to send the logging messages to the console so you can debug them in myeclipse. It looks like this setting is sticking so when you launch the server from cmdline or from another product the output of the server is still going to the console and not to any log files.

The workaround that Kashif posted is the correct way to fix this issue. I’ll let the Blue development team know about this issue and how it affects you guys. Sorry for the inconvenience.

#285256 Reply

jx2dad

This message has not been recovered.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Logging not working

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in