facebook

Manual Installation MyEclipse 6.5.0 GA on Linux

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Tom

Hello,
    I have an AMD 64bit dual core laptop. I need to develop with the Sun JDK. Sun’s 64 bit JDK causes frequent segmentation violations that crash Eclipse & MyEclipse, so I decided to reconfigure everything to run 32 bit. I downloaded Sun Java 1.6.0_10 for 32 bit, Eclipse vanilla 3.3.2, M20080221-1800 and got them up and running ( likewise Maven, Ant, and Jetty ). I downloaded the MyEclipse 6.5.0 GA plugin download (MyEclipse_6.5.0GA_ArchivedDiscoverySite.zip ), checked the MD5, and unzipped.
    Unlike previous downloads of MyEclipse, this one only contains the features and plugins directories and a site.xml. I want to keep the MyEclipse plugin separate from the Eclipse install. I created the necessary directory structure, placing the plugins and features dirs under an eclipse directory in the place I keep my MyEclipse versions. Eclipse naturally could not discover this plugin without a .eclipseextensions file. None was provided, so I attempted to fake one, using 6.5.0 as the version.
    Eclipse could then load the MyEclipse plugin, but it disabled everything. The properties of each component feature show that they are disabled because the feature does not contain a license.
    I could not find an alternative manual install file for this release. Did I just specify the incorrect version in the extenstions file? Is there another file I need to download?
    Any help would be much appreciated. I really need to get this laptop stablized soon.
    TIA,
    Tom

#286082 Reply

Tom

Forgot to add, this is a Linux machine, OpenSUse 10.3
    Tom

#286089 Reply

Tom

Please close this thread. I will live with the MyEclipse plugins residing in the Eclipse plugins folder for now. I look forward to the release of the Manual Install download for 6.5.0.
    Thanks,
    Tom

#287631 Reply

dpfelten

I would also like a manual installation. Having everything lumped into one Eclipse installation is less flexible (and less portable). Is there a reason why it can’t be like 6.0? Some compatibility issue or something? I carry around a thumb drive with my Eclipse plugins on it so whenever I switch environments (disconcertingly often), I can easily re-use my plugins without having to re-download half a gig of stuff from the internet.

#287634 Reply

dpfelten

Wait, I guess my message is irrelevant. I think the “ArchivedDiscoverySite” is what I want. Thanks!

p.s. what the heck does “Archived Update/Discovery Site” mean?

#287656 Reply

Loyal Water

p.s. what the heck does “Archived Update/Discovery Site” mean?

Are you referring to the MyEclipse Archive Update Installer?

When you setup plugins (e.g. subclipse) with eclipse, you have paste the URL of the site where the plugins is to be setup from. In the case of MyEclipse archive site update, the MyEclipse plugin files are all zipped up and downloaded so the plugin is available for setup locally. So once you have the archive site downloaded, you can go to Help > Software Updates …. and point to this zip file to setup the MyEclipse plugin.

Does that make sense?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Manual Installation MyEclipse 6.5.0 GA on Linux

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in