facebook

Maven integration

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 184 total)
  • Author

Brad O’Hearne
    Participant

@support-rkalla wrote:

Can you be more specific about your team’s requirements for Maven? Just the dependnecy management? Build management? etc.

I can. I do independent development with several different companies and internal development on my own software. With all companies, and my own applications, I use Maven 2 and the Eclipse plugin. Maven 2 is indispensable for dependency and published artifact management. I’d dump my IDE entirely before giving up maven.

Having said that, I also own MyEclipse, and have spent several hours trying to get Maven to work with MyEclipse. I have two pieces of feedback:

1) I have tried getting the hacks mentioned in the forums to work, and with such hackery, it appears you can somewhat get around and get something to almost work.

2) Even if I could get these hacks to work, they aren’t acceptable, and aren’t really integration with Maven. What we need is a to have MyEclipse deploy:

a) the artifact that maven builds, not that MyEclipse builds. For example, in a web project, just deploy that war that maven builds from a “mvn package”, don’t have MyEclipse build it. The reason for this is that it essentially puts you in the position of testing something different than what will be published and released (which will go through Maven).

b) This is solved by a), but the existing hacks drop compiled class files into your source tree (WEB-INF/classes). The problem with this is that that web-root folder lies in my source tree, which is committed to our source code repository (SVN). Sure, I could put a svn-ignore on the classes directory, but that’s not the point — the point is separation of source from build artifacts.

Please add Maven 2 support. This will be the deciding factor on whether I renew my subscription or not.

Thanks,

Brad

#279608 Reply

Brad O’Hearne
    Participant

I’ll add another reason for deploying maven-built WAR files: if the maven build includes anything in the WAR file which isn’t in the web-root, such as files that are pulled in dynamically at build time, then the present approach will miss those files. I have that situation now, where I have a Flex application built in another product that is pulled in by maven when the WAR is built. MyEclipse completely misses this and related files.

Brad

#279609 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Brad, thank you for the feedback. All going to the product manager.

#280849 Reply

Paulo Neves

I want maven integration too. I think that create/import maven project would be nice.

#282084 Reply

Sean Blaes

One silly but I think very useful request for Maven – buttons to run certain goals, and the ability to configure them. Currently, I have to use the external tools runner, that takes two clicks most of the time (and I’m lazy). I’d love to have seperate buttons for a Maven compile, package and test, as those are the ones I use the most. However, I’m sure others are different, so I think it would be very cool to be able to configure what buttons were available.

#282808 Reply

plancton75

This message has not been recovered.

#283010 Reply

cbmohan

#283011 Reply

cbmohan

#283091 Reply

Nir Gomer

#283585 Reply

#283611 Reply

Riyad Kalla

#284899 Reply

hbozic
    Participant

I would recommend that before you release Maven integration with 6.5, you try to test it with appfuse (appfuse.org). This project makes extensive use of Maven and would be a good “torture test”

#284903 Reply

Riyad Kalla

hbozic,
    Thanks for the heads up. I know we have a handful of things to test with and groups to work with atleast for a first cut, which *will* be in 6.5 I heard officially today. But given how board Maven can be used, our initial release will be pretty straight forward and we will enhance/expand it over time.

#285127 Reply

msquared

@support-rkalla wrote:

hbozic,
    Thanks for the heads up. I know we have a handful of things to test with and groups to work with atleast for a first cut, which *will* be in 6.5 I heard officially today. But given how board Maven can be used, our initial release will be pretty straight forward and we will enhance/expand it over time.

This thread was started a half decade ago but 6.5M1 contains nothing at all for Maven. I am inches away from giving up on MyEclipse entirely (which will cost you about a dozen licenses when my subscriptions expire).

#285522 Reply

Michael Laccetti
    Participant

I have to admit that I am curious about these magical Maven features. The only reason I’ve stuck with MyEclipse is because the deployment mechanism is better than that of WTP, but if the Maven integration doesn’t get fixed (deploying projects when a parent project is open is one huge problem, the other is the fact that MyEclipse deploys Maven dependencies that are marked as test or provided which shouldn’t make it out the door), I will have to bite the bullet and start migrating to WTP or IntelliJ or something that handles Maven properly.

Edit: and the fact that this thread is five years old is sort of scary.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 184 total)
Reply To: Maven integration

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in