facebook

ME 6.5 still crashes on 64 bit with JDK 6 > U3

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

arjan.tijms

Hi,

MyEclipse 6 always crashed on 64 bits Linux (Debian Lenny and Ubuntu 8.04) when a newer JDK than JDK 6 update 3 was being used.

Today I tried MyEclipse 6.5 (clean install) on 64 bits Ubuntu 8.04, with Sun JDK 6 update 6. Unfortunately it still crashes. As before, SUN JDK 6 update 3 works.

Do you know whether anything has been fixed in ME 6.5 related to this problem? Was this supposed to work?

#286716 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Arjan,
    MyEclipse is still only certified with 1.5.0_11 because of some changed way down deep in the rendering pipeline in the JRE that changed in _12 and beyond (and possibly 1.6.0_04 and beyond from what you are saying) that causes our Swing-based tools to sometimes lockup the workbench.

Also MyEclipse is still certified only on 32-bit Eclipse w/ 32-bit VM. That might also be contributing to why it’s dying (untested environment).

#286744 Reply

arjan.tijms

I see. I vaguely remember it was said in this forum that the next version of MyEclipse was going to fix this, but I guess MyEclipse 7 was meant with that 😉

Anyway, I’ve been running Eclipse 3.3 / MyEclipse 6 / JDK 6.0 till update 3 on Debian Lenny 64 bits since something like 7 months orso and never had a single problem. The only problem I have was with JDK 6 update 4 and beyond. JDK 6 itself and 64 bits seems to be rock solid, at least it has been for me.

#286828 Reply

Riyad Kalla

arjan,
    No you are right, we thought we nailed it with the M4M refresh in December, but as it turns out after long editing sessions or with specific sequences of actions in M4M or the UML tool, it was still possible to hard-lock the workbench, so we had to back out of that 1.6 claim so folks weren’t left in a lurch. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I’ve been running Eclipse 3.3 / MyEclipse 6 / JDK 6.0 till update 3 on Debian Lenny 64 bits since something like 7 months orso and never had a single problem. The only problem I have was with JDK 6 update 4 and beyond. JDK 6 itself and 64 bits seems to be rock solid, at least it has been for me.

Interesting… are you using any of the Swing-based tools (UML, Image editor, Matisse4MyEclipse)? Also are you running with a 64-bit VM or Eclipse base?

I’m glad to hear it’s been stable for you, we just haven’t tested those 64-bit configurations widly yet.

#287048 Reply

henk

@support-rkalla wrote:

arjan,
    No you are right, we thought we nailed it with the M4M refresh in December, but as it turns out after long editing sessions or with specific sequences of actions in M4M or the UML tool, it was still possible to hard-lock the workbench, so we had to back out of that 1.6 claim so folks weren’t left in a lurch. Sorry about that.

I have been running MyEclipse too with JDK 6 for a long time. On Windows 32 bit I can basically use any version. No problems at all. I don’t use the Swing based tools though as my company didn’t get us the professional license.

For Linux 64 bits (also debian lenny) I can confirm the same thing. JDK 6 until update 3 runs extremely stable. So stable that I almost don’t dare to upgrade anything anymore 😉 As soon as I try to run MyEclipse with JDK 6 update 4 or beyond it crashes when I deploy anything to Tomcat (either ‘manually’ by pressing the deploy button or automatically whenever I save a file).

In my case everything on my Linux system is 64 bits: 64 bits official Sun VM, 64 bits Eclipse base, etc.

#287095 Reply

Riyad Kalla

henk, that is a really interesting datapoint for us… we didn’t even think ME was running stable on 64-bit Eclipse, let along the 64-bit VM. Thanks for letting us know.

Also very strange about update _04, I wonder what they changed that is suddenly causing problems.

I think we have Java 7.0 (1.7) around the corner here soon don’t we? We might just wait and do 64-bit/Java 7.0 all at the same time if enough stuff is still changing in 1.6 to cause the platform to go from “stable” to “crashes all the time” with a *patch release*… as a product vendor that sort of stuff makes us very nervous.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: ME 6.5 still crashes on 64 bit with JDK 6 > U3

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in