facebook

MEI compiles *every* JSP in the project

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ggerard

I’ve got autobuild turned on and it takes forever.

Our production builds use Ant and I use MEI for working with webapps. The output of Ant’s build goes into a set of folders named build and dist. Eclipse does not know about these other than that they are in the project directory ($proj/src/blah, $proj/webapp, $proj/build, $proj/dist to get an idea of the layout). $proj/webapp is the only directory containg JSPs that Eclipse has been told about.

Since the build and dist folders contain copies of the JSP files (we don’t precompile our JSPs for reasons that are good for us), and MEI seems very eager to compile these too, I wind up with an Eclipse that’s frozen for a long time because…

Even when I bring up the progress dialog (from the throbbing progress indicator in the lower right), I cannot cancel the compile (says canceled and still keeps making progress…)

I have to kill eclipse.exe manually from the task manager to get on with my day.

version 3.8.1+QF20040825
    any JVM
    Windows XP sp1 and sp2

#215054 Reply

Riyad Kalla

ggerard,
    There are quite a few users working with *extremely* large projects and they find it much easier to just turn off JSP validation (this is what is causing the compiles) and only use the JSP validation manually (via the right-click context menu in your Package explorer on the JSP file) to validate files when they want to. This might be something you wish to consider doing.

The compilation of the JSP pages in ME is simply for validation, the pages are actually run through the Jasper2 JSP compiler (what Tomcat uses) to detect any problems and report them to the user. You have two choicese, either leave autobuild on and let it build ALL the pages, and then it will only build pages that change after that (unless you clean your project) or just turn off JSP validation and do it manually when you need it.

#215057 Reply

ggerard

Thanks, Riyad, for the work around.

I guess the deeper question is why is MEI looking outside the webapp folder (the one I declared in the project properies page)? I would think that rooting around the project directory would be bad (I’m glad I don’t have any NT mounts in use to my network drive anymore — that’d be hideous!).

Any ideas why MEI should look outside the webapp folder?

thanks!
    greg

#215058 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Greg,
    Its actually so we continue to support proper editing/autocomplete/etc of the JSP pages even if they are not under webroot. There is an open enhancement to make this behavior configurable: (a) totally ignore it (b) treat it like all other JSPs, but our default behavior now is to allow the most flexibility for the most users (unfortunately this does annoy a handful of users that know exactly what they are doing with their project, we appologize for that).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: MEI compiles *every* JSP in the project

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in