facebook

!MESSAGE JSP Compiler broken [Closed]

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Robert Varga
    Participant

I got this exception with a web project using an other project as part of its classpath (project dependency). One for each jsp file that was actually having a <%@ page tag %>, even though it did not refer on anything at all.

!ENTRY de.bb.bje.eclipse 4 1 Mar 10, 2004 14:50:54.596
    !MESSAGE JSP Compiler broken
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at de.bb.bje.eclipse.support.JspCompiler.getClassPath(Unknown Source)
    at de.bb.bje.eclipse.BejyPlugin.getClassLoader(Unknown Source)
    at de.bb.bje.eclipse.BejyPlugin.getCC(Unknown Source)
    at de.bb.bje.eclipse.editors.BJspEditor$1.run(Unknown Source)

This happened on a 2.7GA on 2.1.0 upgraded to 2.1.1 upgraded to 2.1.2. Previously there was a 2.7RC2 installed on this Eclipse but uninstalled (and rebooted afterwards) and 2.7GA was installed in the same place. Workspace was not under Eclipse directory, but in a separate directory.

Another thing may have something to do with it:
    Sun has moved the dtd file for web.xml to another place, and the xmen plugin does not seem to cache it in workspace\.metadata\.plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.xmen\dtd. Was this directory filled when MyEclipse was installed?

When I recompile all jsp-s, the error report goes away from the problems list, but I get an exception in the log for each jsp page again actually having any jsp code in it. Also whenever I open a jsp file, I get the exception again in the log.

The jsps themselves are actually correct, and the webapp compiles flawlessly with ant.

#204577 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Rob,
    That plugin DTD cache directory you gave will have all cached DTDs in it. So if you have not pointed the XML editor at any ‘new’ DTDs (read: hibernate, jasper reports, etc.) then it will be empty.

Also, what DTD are you referring to Sun moving? I can still resolve http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd without a problem. Are you doing J2EE 1.4 work and are referring to the schema maybe?

Also, I created a test project, with 3 JSP pages in it using the File->New->JSP wizard. These all have @page directives in them. Then I setup another random java project in Eclipse as a dependency of this test project, and rebuild the project. I don’t have anything in my log file… did I do this correctly? Can you walk me through exactly how to reproduce this problem?

#204588 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

@support-rkalla wrote:

Rob,
    Also, what DTD are you referring to Sun moving? I can still resolve http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd without a problem. Are you doing J2EE 1.4 work and are referring to the schema maybe?

That’s the new address. However, I had a web.xml (I don’t know what it was generated by) which referred to http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd.

@support-rkalla wrote:

Also, I created a test project, with 3 JSP pages in it using the File->New->JSP wizard. These all have @page directives in them. Then I setup another random java project in Eclipse as a dependency of this test project, and rebuild the project. I don’t have anything in my log file… did I do this correctly? Can you walk me through exactly how to reproduce this problem?

I haven’t yet made a separate test case of it.

Currently we have the following setup:

– XYZ Classpath project (containing about a dozen jar files)

– XYZ Server project (depending on XYZ classpath), having dozens of source folders, dozens of lib folders containing class files built from code generated by xdoclet, source folders, some of them holding stuff generated by xdoclet from files in other source folders), having a couple of libraries on its own, among others some libraries which are also present in the web app project.

– WebUI project (depending on both other projects), containing the jsp files, a source folder with struts-using code in it, a source folder with property files in it, a lib folder with the struts-related and log4 jar files in it (and another library also existing in XYZ server).

I know this project setup is ugly, but I had not managed to make the build manager to change it (lots of interrelationships between the source folders, effectively each session bean jar refers on all other session bean jar files in their manifest file).

#204591 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Rob,
    Please let us know when you are able to narrow this down to a certain test case so we can look at exactly what is going on. However, I will still try and produce this problem in my free time.

I’m sorry to put this responsibility back on you, but for now the team is knee deep in development and I wasn’t able to easily reproduce the problem, so its hard to tell if there is something wacky with your project, or if MyEclipse is just getting confused.

Just to clarify (for my testing), you have:

Project Classpath
    Project Server
    Project Web

and project Server relies on project Classpath, and project Web relies on Project Server AND Classpath? (effectively inheriting the already-created dependencies from Server->Classpath?)

#204649 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

@support-rkalla wrote:

Rob,
    Please let us know when you are able to narrow this down to a certain test case so we can look at exactly what is going on. However, I will still try and produce this problem in my free time.

I’m sorry to put this responsibility back on you, but for now the team is knee deep in development and I wasn’t able to easily reproduce the problem, so its hard to tell if there is something wacky with your project, or if MyEclipse is just getting confused.

No problem. I am actually still not convinced that this is not a problem caused by the uninstall and then reinstall, which although a bug too, is not a too serious one.

@support-rkalla wrote:

Just to clarify (for my testing), you have:

Project Classpath
    Project Server
    Project Web

and project Server relies on project Classpath, and project Web relies on Project Server AND Classpath? (effectively inheriting the already-created dependencies from Server->Classpath?)

Almost. Project server does not export the /Project Classpath source folder, so Project Web gets Project Classpath only directly, but not indirectly as well.

#204652 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ok, thank you for the clarification.

#204655 Reply

No Operation

Please verify:

Do all JARs, output directories, etc. really exist, even those of the referenced projects?

NOP

#204658 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

@nop wrote:

Please verify:

Do all JARs, output directories, etc. really exist, even those of the referenced projects?

NOP

Sure they do. Otherwise Eclipse gives an error message that certain classpath elements do not exist. There were absolutely no errors, only the NPE-s. The server project built ok with ant, and afterwards it was refreshed in Eclipse, and rebuild all was issued, and the NPEs still remained.

#204706 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Rob,

Can you send us one of the problematic files for further analysis?

#204722 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

@scott wrote:

Rob,

Can you send us one of the problematic files for further analysis?

I will first check it on an other machine to see, maybe it was a problem caused by the uninstall+reinstall upgrade.

If the error comes up on an other machine, I will ask what files I am allowed to send to you (we have quite telling component names, and the customer might not like to reveal them).

#204728 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I certainly understand the need for confidentiality. Actually, if you could make the same thing happen with a small test case reliably, that would be even better.

#204738 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

@scott wrote:

I certainly understand the need for confidentiality. Actually, if you could make the same thing happen with a small test case reliably, that would be even better.

I guess I am nearing to isolating the problem.

Something in our XYZ classpath project seems to be the problem, since a newly created project with a single jsp file and the project having declared dependency on that project led to the reproduction of the error.

When I removed dependency on that, I did not have any problem.

Now I have to just single out which jar file makes the problem.

#204744 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

sorry guys, I don’t know what I did, but the problem went away… I can’t even reproduce it at the original place, which is interesting considering the thing that I did not have any of the project files checked out from Clearcase.

It reminds me on the song: The Bug Came Back, and the fate of the hacker squad in it 🙂

#204767 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Well, that’s good news I suppose. I’ll close this one out for now. If you find it again, we’ll start a new thread.

#204844 Reply

pauldyson

I’ve also encountered this problem in both 3.7RC2 and 3.7GA. Following the hint about classpath errors above, I think I managed to track down the source of the problem. Before using MyEclipse, a project the Web Project depended on had been defined to import various Tomcat libraries. After installing MyEclipse and choosing Add Web Project Capabilities, I got the null pointer error described and it always appeared as multiple problems in the IDE. Choosing not to export the Tomcat libraries fixed the problem … so I assume there was a clash between J2EE 1.3 Library Container (on the Web Project’s classpath after adding web project capabilities to it) and those Tomcat Libraries that provide J2EE interfaces, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: !MESSAGE JSP Compiler broken [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in