facebook

Migrating from Struts 1.1 to 1.2 [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kinjalsonpal

Hi,

I’m planning to migrate from Struts 1.1 to 1.2. So far the entire project have been developed using 1.1. I have some questions regarding this.

1) What is the recommended way to achieve this according ME team. I know that 1.2 is not yet supported by ME, but still, off the records, what’s an unsupported migration path for the basic setup?

2) Is there any way to modify the existing project template, so that by default all new projects have struts 1.2 capabilities? I mean what if I replace all the jar files in MYECLIPSE_STRUTS_HOME with the newer ones, or something similar?

3) What is the approximate date for this support to be enabled? (a ballpark estimate is good enough)

Thanks and regards,
    Kinjal Sonpal

#217961 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Kinjal,

1) Migrating an app from Struts 1.1 to Struts 1.2 is really easy since Struts 1.2 is fully backward compatible. You should just be able to drop the new JARs into the project. If you wanted to make use of some of the new Struts 1.2 features, then that is the only place that will require some work (e.g. MappingDispatchAction)

2) If you navigate to Window > Preferences > MyEclipse > Project Capabilities > Struts, here you can remove and then re-add all the JARs/TLDs that you want to represent the Struts 1.0 or 1.1 resources. You could just update the Struts 1.1 tab to include all Struts 1.2 files for now until we officially add Struts 1.2 support.

3) We want to get it done for 3.8.3, but realistically I think it will be 3.9 because we have a lot of bug fixes and small features we want to get into 3.8.3 that are higher priority.

#218016 Reply

kinjalsonpal

Riyad,

Thanks for the quick and to the point reply. I’ll post back any notable experience when I take up the migration.

Thanks and regards,
    Kinjal Sonpal

#218018 Reply

kinjalsonpal

Riyad,

I need to modify the struts-config.xml, validator-rules.xml templates, so that my team members do not have to remember doctypes and some other changes. I’m also thinking of adding validation.xml by default to all new struts projects.

Please let me know where shall I make changes in order to achive the results.

Thanks and regards,
    Kinjal Sonpal

#218030 Reply

Riyad Kalla

The validation-rules.xml file is here:
    <myeclipse dir>\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.cross.easystruts.eclipse_3.8.2\data\1.1\tld

The struts-config template is here:
    <myeclispe dir>\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.wizards_3.8.2\Templates

I hope that helps get you going in the right direction.

#218112 Reply

kinjalsonpal

@support-rkalla wrote:

The struts-config template is here:
    <myeclispe dir>\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.wizards_3.8.2\Templates

If StrutsConfig.xml under the above mentioned dir is what you mean, then I think I’m missing something here. That file’s contents surely looks different than the contents we get when “Add Struts Capability” wizard is used. Please clarify.

I’m also facing lots of memory hogging problems when I added the validator_1_1_3.dtd to the XML catalog list through ME’s XML preference sheet. Infact now everytime I open validator-rules.xml file, it takes ages to complete the validation. Even JSP validations also threw Out Of Memory error thrice.

Please share your views on this.

Thanks and regards,
    Kinjal Sonpal

#218124 Reply

Riyad Kalla

If StrutsConfig.xml under the above mentioned dir is what you mean, then I think I’m missing something here. That file’s contents surely looks different than the contents we get when “Add Struts Capability” wizard is used. Please clarify.

It seems I was mistaken, the generation of the struts-config.xml file is internal to the plugin and cannot be changed. We are still working on our transition to all velocity templates in the future which would allow changes like you wish to make.

I’m also facing lots of memory hogging problems when I added the validator_1_1_3.dtd to the XML catalog list through ME’s XML preference sheet.

We suggest giving Eclipse 3/MyEclipse atleast 256 of memory, if you are doing that already then please disable XML validation temporarily. There is a known bug with it when validating large XML documents, it can take up to a few hours for signifigantly large files… we will need to look into this soon.

#218165 Reply

kinjalsonpal

🙁 I hope the transition happens in very near future.

I’m having 382M memory. I’ve disabled XML validations for now.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Regards,
    Kinjal Sonpal

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Migrating from Struts 1.1 to 1.2 [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in