facebook

Missing MyEclipse Controls Relating to Perspectives

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Evo-Tica

ME=2.7, E=2.1.2, OS=XP Prof., J2re=1.3, Install=New after installing eclipse 2.1.2, plugins No=66. .metadata install log=success for eclipse and MyEclipse.

I installed successfully, but when bring it up it had no MyEclipse controls on the menu bar. So followed documentation:
    Window menu–>Customize Perspectives—>Other selected but he list displayed has no MyEclispse controls to select. It seems to have only the standard eclipse ones. So cannot access any MyEclipse addons goodies.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but the same problem persists.

Please could you suggest possible problems.

BR
    Keith

#201615 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Keith,

Can you look at your log file at <workspace>/.metadata/.log and see if any errors are there? If so please post them and that will give us something to go on. Also, can you post the answers to all the questions we ask in the Posting Guidelines thread at the top of this forum? That will help us know where to start.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#201618 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Keith,
    Another quick way to check, Help->About. Do you see a little MyEclipse logo? Try and click on plugin details, scroll down about 1/2 way, you should see about 30 or so entries from Provider “Genuitec, LLC”, do you see any?

If you don’t see ANY of this stuff, check 2 more things:

1) In your eclipse install dir, you have a dir called “links”, inside of this dir you have a file called “com.genuitec.eclipse.MyEclipse.link”, and the contents of that file is a key-value pair of “path=blah” where blah is the path to where MyEclipse installed to. Double check that this path does exist.

2) Now that you have verified that ME is linked to Eclipse, go to your ME dir and make sure the eclipse/plugins and eclipse/features dirs have plenty of things in them.

If there was something wrong with step 1, then it looks like the installer failed somehow. I’m hoping its something simple like the missing link file.

#201630 Reply

Evo-Tica

Guys thanks!
    Firstly Scotts infromation:
    What operating system and version are you running? = Windows XP Profesional
    What Eclipse version and build id are you using? (Help > About Eclipse Platform) = 2.1.2
    – Was Eclipse freshly installed for MyEclipse? = Yes
    – If not, was it upgraded to its current version using the update manager? = Not applicaable
    – Are any other external plugins installed? = no only standard eclipse ones and MyEclipse ones
    – How many plugins in the <eclipse>/plugins directory are like org.eclipse.pde.* = 7
    What MyEclipse version are you using? (Help > About Eclipse Platform > Features) = 2.7
    What JDK version are you using to run Eclipse? (java -version) = j2re 1.3
    What JDK version are you using to launch your application server? = None yet have not got that far
    What steps did you take that resulted in the issue? = As i have already explained in first email
    What application server are you using? = None yet
    Are there any exceptions in the Eclipse log file? (<workspace>/.metadata/.log) = No exceptions in .install-log
    Here is copy of the file:
    !CONFIGURATION 06-Jan-2004 18:00:56
    !ACTIVITY Jan 06, 2004 18:00:57.701 file:D:/Program Files/Eclipse2.1.2/eclipse/ site-install success
    !ACTIVITY Jan 06, 2004 18:00:57.711 file:D:/Program Files/Eclipse2.1.2/eclipse/workspace/.metadata/.config/platform.cfg.metadata/v2LocalSite.xml reconciliation success

!CONFIGURATION 06-Jan-2004 18:26:21
    !ACTIVITY Jan 06, 2004 18:26:22.226 file:D:/Program Files/Eclipse2.1.2/eclipse/ site-install success
    !ACTIVITY Jan 06, 2004 18:26:22.626 file:D:/Program Files/MyEclipse/eclipse/ site-install success
    !ACTIVITY Jan 06, 2004 18:26:22.626 file:D:/Program Files/Eclipse2.1.2/eclipse/workspace/.metadata/.config/platform.cfg.metadata/v2LocalSite.xml reconciliation success

For Riyad info:
    Myclipse logo, plugin details = There ar NO MyEclpse related “Genuitec, LLC” plugins only the standard eclipse ones

Next:
    eclipse install dir, i have a dir called “links”, inside of this dir i have a file called “com.genuitec.eclipse.MyEclipse.link the content look ok, but here it is:
    path=D:\\Program Files\\MyEclipse
    Which is where i have intalled MyEclipse

ME dir the eclipse/plugins and eclipse/features dirs have plenty of things in them do have all the Geneitec… plugins many infact. Something like aa total of 61 in plugins and 5 in features.
    So to me it look all ok?

Any more ideas?

Thanks
    Keith

#201636 Reply

Riyad Kalla

<scratches head> this all sounds right…

Here’s a silly question, are you sure you are running the right eclipse executable? I ask because I usually have two copies installed (Eclipse stable, Eclipse M-release) and sometimes I’ll launch the wrong one and wonder where all my MyEclipse functionality went.

1 more thing, in the question above you answers there were no exceptions in .install-log

Are there any exceptions in the Eclipse log file? (<workspace>/.metadata/.log) = No exceptions in .install-log

but I’m wondering if there is anything in the .log file (not the .install-log file). Can you copy-paste the last 2 entries starting with:

!SESSION—————————

Thanks!

#201643 Reply

Evo-Tica

After the installation i had the 2 icons with shortcuts on the Desktop and tried both. It’s strange one icon had the MyEclipse image logo the other was a different standard logo (not MyEclipse). Anyway i treid both and examined the properties and they are exactly the same.
    Next i uninstalled and reinstalled, but this time intalled indicating shortsut be a Menu item and not a desktop shortcut. The menu item is there and clicked on it but the result was the same.

There is NO .log file. I havve loooked in the Eclipse and the Myeclipse folders and sub-folders.

Thanks for your continuing support.

Keith

#201645 Reply

Evo-Tica

Sorry here is the .lof stuff There is no !SESSION text in this file.
    Install Begin: Thu Jan 08 08:31:40 CET 2004
    Install End: Thu Jan 08 08:32:23 CET 2004

Created with Zero G’s InstallAnywhere 5.5.1 Enterprise Build 2032

Summary
    ——-

Installation: Successful with warnings.

1770 SUCCESSES
    1 WARNINGS
    0 NONFATAL ERRORS
    0 FATAL ERRORS

At the bottom there is something interesting it says shortcut is on C:……… drive but it should be D why?:

Install Directory: D:\Program Files\Eclipse2.1.2\eclipse\
    Additional Notes: NOTE – Directory already existed

Modify Text File – Single File: New File D:\Program Files\Eclipse2.1.2\eclipse\links\com.genuitec.eclipse.MyEclipse.link

Modify Text File – Single File: No Target Chosen

Install Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\ticakei\Desktop\

Create Shortcut: C:\Documents and Settings\ticakei\Desktop\MyEclipse.lnk

Create Shortcut: C:\Documents and Settings\ticakei\Desktop\MyEclipse.lnk
    Additional Notes: WARNING – Shortcut has no target: ignoring

Create Shortcut: C:\Documents and Settings\ticakei\Desktop\Uninstall MyEclipse.lnk

Install Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\

Create Shortcut: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\MyEclipse.lnk

#201646 Reply

Riyad Kalla

1) Shortcut on C: that’s ok, its trying to create a desktop shortcut for you TO the resource (so the shortcut’s contents probably say D:\something)

2) .log file is created by eclipse when it runs, that’s why I’m surprised you don’t have one. In your eclipse-install dir, you should have a subdir called “workspace” and in there a directory called .metadata and in there you should have a file called .log, can you double check this?

3) If this doesn’t work and you don’t mind, maybe we can start from scratch. a) Uninstall ME, b) delete the eclipse dir, c) reunzip eclipse, d) run eclipse atleast once, e) run the ME installer, f) now try and see if it works

sorry for the shooting-in-the-dark troubleshooting, this is a strange one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Missing MyEclipse Controls Relating to Perspectives

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in