facebook

Mobione to MyEclipse Migration Disaster

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Mobile Tooling
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

TheThirdMan

As an experienced Mobione user, I was kean to get up-to-speed with MyEclipse 2015 before Genuitec completely axes Mobione. I downloaded the trial, installed the nearly 1.5GB package and (evenutally) figured out how to start a new mobile app project. What a mess! Developing an app without the help of Mobione’s visual designer will significantly hinder my development time and result in fewer apps being developed per year. Additionally, I tried to import HTML files from an existing, completed, app. Another disaster. I could open the HTML file, but couldn’t get the emulator to open it.

MyEclipse is a real, unmitigated mess for app developers (despite all the rah-rah from Genuitec), which is tragic as Genuitec is clearly trying to kill Mobione gracefully.

I uninstalled MyEclipse 2015 after only 6 hours of headbanging frustration. What an aweful piece of software. It won’t get my money.

#351132 Reply

Brian Fernandes

I’m sorry you had an abysmal experience with MyEclipse. Let me try and address the issues you raised.

1) Size
    MyEclipse is much more than a MobiOne replacement, this is why it is 1.5 GB in size. I agree that if one is only interested in the Mobile components, this is excessively large. We’re currently looking at a solution for this problem.

2) Missing Visual Designer
    The focus with MyEclipse’s mobile tooling at this point has not been visual tooling, it has been more on being able to build using the most recent version of Cordova / PhoneGap, jQuery and jQuery mobile and build both locally and remotely. We’ll have more on the Visual Designer later.

3) Unable to run in the Simulator
    MobiOne does use a few custom plugins to support the visual designer, these plugins have not yet been ported to MyEclipse, but we’re working on that right now.

The focus so far has been on shoring up our PhoneGap support as described above (no point in a migration story if you don’t have something worth migrating to). For the next CI release due in September (2015 CI 5), we’re focusing on the MobiOne to MyEclipse migration. This will include a much higher level of compatibility, better tooling and better documentation. If you watch this space, we’ll let you know when it’s available, if you would care to try it again.

#352154 Reply

Hi Support-Brian

Can you tell me please approximately when i will be able to update my mobione project to cordova 3.5.1 ?

will i make it before google play remove my application from google play store or
    it is a lost cause?

my app is a paid app and you understand why i am nervous.

Thank you
    Philip

#352191 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Philip,

We are working very hard on this problem right now – there is still some additional work left and we’ll post here as soon as something is available. I just want to reiterate that this is a priority for us – apologies for not having something ready yet.

#353065 Reply

Hi,

We have completed the migration process and posted a tutorial outlining the steps here:
    https://www.genuitec.com/products/myeclipse/learning-center/mobile/mobione-apps-myeclipse/

Thanks,

#456912 Reply

MrJazzz
    Participant

I agree with the third man… dropping MobiOne was a very bad idea… I built many apps actually on Google play store and took me a long time to get to know how to do things right… Getting a new working computer i reinstalled mobione… but when i got back to the help page… nothing… No more support OK but LEAVE the documentation there for those who needs it.

I sure do not want to pay AGAIN for a 1.5 gig of download that will take me ages for me to learn to use…

So I give you a bad Boooooo!

When you throw something online, THINK about those who uses it… You have a responsability that goes beyond your own nose…

#456919 Reply

DaveClark
    Participant

Easy Turbo

I too have developed a few apps using mobione. I am not a web programmer or anything to do with computer programming. You can still use mobione to work on your apps, it WILL import into myeclipse, to build with phonegap. Do not fall on your screwdriver just yet. Maybe you should explain more as to what is happening to you. Also the forums are still there, just harder to search through(which should be fixed, you guys).

Post your needs. The phonegap build actually does work pretty good

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Mobione to MyEclipse Migration Disaster

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in