facebook

Multiple project for an enterprise application and component

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I am wondering about something I have observed. The current build allows one to build a EAR project, but each EJB seems to require another project. At least this is how I read the wizard. I would think that the EJBs (and web apps) would be components of the EAR project i.e. in ths same project.
    Am I missing something?
    Thanks,
    Mike

#196529 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Good questions.

The current build allows one to build a EAR project, but each EJB seems to require another project. At least this is how I read the wizard.

Actually, you can have as many EJB’s per EJB project as you like. And, you may also have as many EJB and Web projects per EAR project as you like since this is what the J2EE spec allows. That’s why the wizard lets you create multiple subprojects of each type.

I would think that the EJBs (and web apps) would be components of the EAR project i.e. in ths same project.

There are two things that make this a a problem. The first is that for large projects (I mean thousands of EJB’s, JSP’s, static content pages etc) forcing a single project structure wouldn’t work due to sizing and team work partitioning issues. The second problem is that Eclipse does not allow nested projects so such a structure is effectively impossible to create and maintain with the Eclipse tooling.

So, that’s why we set things up as multiple projects. And, it’s also probably why WSAD, Rational XDE, and all the other Eclipse-based J2EE IDE’s do too. You basically just have to.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#196530 Reply

Thanks for the reply.
    So I’m confused about how deployment is suppose to work. How are the seperate ejb & webapp projects suppose to be combined into the deployed enterprise application? Is there a “stupid ant trick” or is there something I dont understand about Eclipse projects?

BTY, I feel a bit guilty about all the questions but I’m a ‘paying member’ and I’m going to suggest that the company I work for sign up for extended support.

#196531 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

The way deployment happens is with a little technology that is unique to MyEclipse called Sync-On-Demand. We basically combine all your projects as needed and deploy them in exploded format on the server of your choice. Then, as you make code changes in your projects Sync-On-Demand makes sure all your server deployments stay up to date. Right now we deploy only in exploded format, but the archive version of Sync-On-Demand will be available in the GA release on 7/15.

So basically, just set up your projects, add your content, then do a right-click MyEclipse->Deploy… to deploy to the server you want. From that point on, your code is deployed and will be the same as whatever you have in your workspace. We’ll have a couple of pages explaining it in more detail in the final documentation. It’s really pretty cool, so don’t try to overthink it; just give it a try. 🙂

BTW, I feel a bit guilty about all the questions but I’m a ‘paying member’

Finally, someone with a conscience that understands the value they get for $30! 😉 Ask away.

and I’m going to suggest that the company I work for sign up for extended support.

How about suggesting that your development groups save some money and switch over to MyEclipse too? By the way, we’re really responsive to enhancement suggestions from enterprise-level customers 🙂

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Multiple project for an enterprise application and component

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in